12. wake up, this isn't real

WAKE UP, THIS ISN'T REAL

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ "Jesus, how far is this place, man?" Steve complains as he follows direction after direction.

"Relax." Dustin rolls his eyes. "We're almost there."

Robin sits forward, closer to Gina. "Suzie must be pretty special, huh?" she asks, talking over the blaring radio. "I mean, if you built this thing and lugged it all the way to the middle of nowhere just to talk to her?

"I mean nobody's scientifically perfect, but Susie's about as close to being perfect as any human could possibly be," Dustin says, keeping his eyes focused on the road.

Gina turns down the radio. "She sounds made up to me. Doesn't she, Steve?"

Steve doesn't answer.

"Why are you hesitating, Steve?" Dustin scolds him.

Steve's quick to defend himself. "I'm—I'm—I'm not! I'm not! I think she sounds real. You know, totally, absolutely real."

"Left!" Dustin calls out. "Turn left!"

"There's not a road here!"

"Turn left now!"

Steve jerks the wheel to the left, breaking through a wooden fence and up a hill. Gina squints, her eyes dry from the wind.

"We're not gonna make it!" Robin yells, subconsciously holding onto Gina's shoulder.

"Yes, we are," Steve says, although sounding inconfident. "Come on, baby. Come on, baby!" he yells as he hits the dashboard.

The engine starts to strain as dirt starts to kick up from under the wheels, Toddfather not moving up the hill.

"Guess the Toddfather has its limitations," Robin says, looking at Steve, who's panting while leaning back in his seat. He turns the engine off and the five walk the rest of the way up the hill.

Once they reach the summit, Gina hears a voice over the radio.

"Scoops Troop, do you copy?"

"Scoops Troop, I repeat, do you copy? We're trapped in the mall and in need of emergency transportation."

"Scoops Troop, do you copy? Billy has found us."

Gina bites the inside of her cheek when Billy is mentioned. According to Mike, Billy has been 'flayed' by the Mind Flayer, making Billy his puppet to do his bidding, and that he's evil and they can't trust him. Gina didn't believe them. They didn't know Billy like she did. He's just like that. But then again, she was wrong about the Russians.