28. angry hicks

ANGRY HICKS

ANGRY HICKS

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ After what happened last night, Stephanie was too overwhelmed to talk about it then, so they decided to crash at Max's for the night.

Once everyone is ready to hear the story, and Stephanie is ready to tell it, they all gather around, waiting for her to start.

Gina could see the uncertainty in her face. The way she looked at Steve then back and the ground, biting her lip.

She takes in a deep breath before starting. "Well, I touched Robins hand and then I was just in my room. But it wasn't how it looks right now it was how it was about five years ago. So, I realized where I was and then I heard my dad yelling." Stephanie pauses, giving a glance to Steve. "At first I thought I blacked out and only realized when I got home...but when I heard what he said I knew it was a memory. I opened the door and instead of my house it was the hallway of the lab. I heard Vecna's voice calling my name and I turned around and was in the exact place that Max drew. He showed me what Victor told Nancy and Robin but from Henry's perspective. Henry killed his mom and sister and got Victor arrested for it. Henry is Vecna. Then I was back in the lab. I saw Brenner tattooing Henry as number one. Brenner, he...uh, he turned to me and his eyes were white, so I just ran. There was wood covering the door and Vecna came out from right behind me. He showed me things that haven't even happened yet. He showed me four gates opening around town, each one where someone was murdered. The lake, Eddie's trailer, the road, and the Creel house. There were so many monsters attacking everyone. And not—not just Demogorgans. There were new ones, too. Things that we haven't fought yet. Things we can't fight. He showed me all of you guys. You were...uh, dead. My whole family, too. Mike, Will, El, Jonathan. Everyone."

Silence fills the room before Steve says, "okay, but...he's just trying to scare you, Steph. Right?"

"No." Stephanie shakes her head, tears forming in her eyes, making them red and glassy. "It's going to happen, I know it. The gates already happened, the four gates."

"I thought there were three?" Robin looks around the room, her brows furrowed. "Aren't there three? One, two, three?" she counts off her fingers, looking to Gina.

Gina just shrugs; it could be anything. There's no rules set in stone to Vecna. He can be as spontaneous as he wants and nobody can be ready.

Speaking through the silence, Max says, "four chimes," as if she just put the puzzle pieces together. "Vecna's clock. It always chimes four times."

Stephanie looks up, her knees brought to her chest to conceal her shaking hands. "I heard it, too. It was always four exactly."

"He's been telling us his plan this whole time," Max concludes, looking down at the ground.

"Four kills," Lucas adds. "Four gates. End of the world."

"If that's true," Dustin starts, his face becoming a mixture of emotions, "he's only one kill away."