19. 24 hours

24 HOURS

24 HOURS

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ "Victor Creel claims vengeful demon killed family. The murder that shocked a small community!" Robin reads from the screen.

"Shit, you found it?" Gina says, going back towards Robin and standing behind her, putting her hand on Robin's shoulder.

"Ha, ha," Nancy mocks. "That's very funny."

"I'm not kidding," Robin attests, her eyes fixed on the article. "Get over here." Nancy walks over, her boots clicking on the wood floor. Robin starts to read. " 'According to several insiders, Victor alledgly hired a priest to exorcise the demon from his home.' "

"Pretty novel for the '50s," Gina comments, Robim nods along. "Exorcist wasn't even out yet."

Nancy gets impatient. "Keep...keep going," she stammers. 

Robin turns the knob and it scrolls, a new page with Victors mugshot and a photo of the Creel family. "Okay, so Victor claimed this exorcism failed, but it angered this demon, which then murdered his family, removing their eyes."

"Victor believed he was spared as a punishment," Gina finishes for Robin, almost as a whisper.

Nancy squints her eyes, as if she's deep in thought. "That's pretty convenient for Victor."

"Yeah, or super inconvenient," Robin counters, turning her head to Nancy. "Victor was declared legally insane by the court, right? Well, what if this is why? I mean, it sounds pretty insane; they just didn't go public because—"

"—The plea bargain," Nancy finishes, looking as though everything just clicked. "The records were sealed."

"What if a demon did invade Victor's home?" Gina asks, though not as a question, more thinking out loud.

Robin puts her hand on top of Gina's, who's still holding onto Robin's shoulder. "It's just, this demon wasn't any old demon."

Nancy's eyes go wide. "It was Vecna."

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ "Dustin, do you copy?" Robin pants into the walkie as the four exit the library, hastily going to the car.

"Yeah, I copy."

"So, Nancy's a genius. Vecna's first victims date all the way back to 1959. Her shot in the dark was a bullseye."