Unforgiving Grind

Jackson

"Captain Jackson, Jackson!" the campus student journalist Emily called out to me, her wavy blond hair bouncing with each step as she weaved through the sea of people.

It was mid-season for collegiate football, and I could tell from the briskness in her stride and the almost imperceptible tightening of her eyes that she was on the hunt for more than just the surface scrapes of a post-game interview.

"Jackson," she panted, microphone extended, a cameraman trailing behind her. "A game like that against the Buffaloes! How does it feel leading your team to such a significant victory during the Homecoming week?"

"It was a tough win," I admitted, my voice still rough from shouting plays and calls. "But, this game means so much to us, the whole Bison community. I'm just proud of the team, of every single person who stepped onto that field today."

Today, the freaks of Central Plains University Buffaloes were here—in The Bison Stadium, our home. Their defense, renowned throughout the league, formed a wall of muscle and strategy that seemed nearly impossible to penetrate. Their star linebacker, Cody 'The Wall' Thompson, was a giant even next to me, and I'm not exactly short. With tattoos snaking down his towering arms, he embodied an imposing presence on the field. He dodged our offensive players with predatory agility, anticipating every move, every fake.

Whenever we thought we'd figured out their play, they'd change up, leaving us scrambling and readjusting. It was like trying to catch smoke with your bare hands.

"And the touchdown by Mike, orchestrated so beautifully by you. Was that a rehearsed move?"

I chuckled. "We've practiced that play countless times, but in the heat of the game, it's all about instinct and trust. I knew Mike would be there, and he knew I'd get the ball to him."

Emily's next question came with a tilt of her head, her voice softened in a practiced manner, suggesting empathy, but her icy-blue eyes were sharp, dissecting. "This season has been a journey for you, Jackson. How do you think your experiences, both on and off the field, have shaped your performance and leadership this year?"

I hesitated for a moment. Running my fingers through my damp black hair, I tried to move the stubborn strands sticking to my forehead. Emily was not just a journalist. She also ran a podcast famous for her segments, often filled with the latest gossip and hard-hitting questions focused on Cedar Lake University's football team. And what she was asking for wasn't just about football; she was probing deeper, inching toward personal boundaries.

"Every experience is a lesson, Emily," I started cautiously. "On the field, it's about adapting, reading the game, understanding my teammates. Off the field? It's not much different. Life throws challenges, and you learn to navigate them, to be better, stronger. That's what I try to bring to the team – resilience and a clear focus, no matter what's happening outside the stadium."

My answer was diplomatic, but inside, I was on edge. I forced a smile, but my hand involuntarily clenched into a fist at my side. I knew Emily's style. She'd take my response as an invitation to dig deeper. Sure enough, she leaned in slightly, glanced around, and her next question was laced with a faux sweetness that didn't fool me for a second.

"Your family is here today, right? How does it feel having them witness this monumental win?" Emily asked.

There it was—the personal jab cloaked in concern. Emily had this knack for steering the conversation towards the uncomfortable, a tactic she hadn't abandoned in all the four years I'd known her.

Four years on the field, four years under her scrutinizing lens, and she still tried to peel back layers that weren't up for discussion.

Instinctively, my gaze swept the crowd for the family presence I knew wouldn't be there. Football was my passion, but to them, it was just a distraction, and I knew I was just a disappointment.