It's Always Something

Jackson

Droplets were still clinging to me as I dressed. I slipped into my worn jeans, their denim feeling familiar and comfortable against my skin. I then pulled on my Cedar Lake University hoodie—the green and blue almost as much a part of me as my own skin. And lastly, I put on my trusty Vans, which had seen better days but refused to retire.

Giving my reflection a thumbs-up, I mumbled, "Still got it."

But my moment was gently interrupted by Tyler's voice. "Hey, Cap! You hitting the Festival later?"

I leaned against my locker. "Considering it," I mused.

"You've got to, man! It's tradition, just like these pictures." Mike's voice bounced off the locker room walls, his hand gesturing towards the team photos lining the wall.

The ritual in the Lakeside Lantern Festival was simple— each year, as the night sky darkens over Cedar Lake, hundreds of lanterns light up and float into the sky in honor of the post-game win. And as this year's captain, it was my duty to light the first lantern.

Did you think you earned that place?

"Ha, that again," I muttered, a bitter chuckle escaping as I shook my head, trying to dislodge my father's fucking haunting words.

"Of course, I would never miss it," I replied, trying to sound more enthusiastic than I felt.

It was time for Coach Williams' usual post-game talk, and as he gathered us, signs of the game's toll were evident on every player. We formed a semi-circle around him, some of us leaning heavily against the lockers, others slowly massaging their overworked muscles or stretching cramped limbs. Despite their fatigue, they were eager to hear him. His optimism never wavered, even after the most brutal games.

"Great job out there, boys!" he started. "The Buffaloes are a tough team, but we held our ground. If we keep playing at this level, we might find ourselves in the semifinals. Might be early to call, but a guy can dream, right?"

Laughter and nods came from the team. We all believed in Coach's words, or at least we wanted to. Last year's defeat was a bitter pill that still hadn't gone down easy. We were a point behind with mere seconds left on the clock. I had managed to break through their defense and sprinted down the field, ball in hand. Just as I prepared to kick the game-winning field goal, the other team player lunged from nowhere, knocking the ball from my grip. It rolled out of bounds, and the final whistle blew. We were so close, but this year has to be different. I owe it to myself and the team to make things right.

Coach continued, his eyes sweeping over each of us. "And hey, enjoy the festival lantern tonight. But don't party so hard that you mistake a lantern for the moon. We've got a replay session on Monday after practice, and I need you all sharp. So..." His eyes rested on me for a moment longer than the others, then he clapped his hands loudly, "Make the most of this free weekend. It's the only one you'll get for the rest of the season."

After Coach Williams finished his speech, the players began to disperse. They shared their plans for the night and teased each other about staying out of trouble. Mike approached me. "Jackson, you ready to go?" he asked.

I saw Coach Williams getting closer, too. "Jackson, a word in my office?" He called out, his voice dropped a notch, a subtle edge creeping into it.

This can't be good.

Mike glanced between the coach and me. "I'll wait for you. Meet at the festival?"

I nodded. "Sure. I'll shoot you a text."

"No worries, man. See you there." We bumped fists quickly. As Mike turned to leave, he gave Coach Williams a nod, saying, "Coach," and playfully saluted him before heading out.