Your Girlfriend

Ethan

As the last of the Honor Society members filed out of the library, I let out a sigh. The meeting, particularly the lively debate over the book drive, had ended, but the remnants of our discussion clung to the room like the musty smell of old books. The weight of responsibility settled heavily on my shoulders; organizing another event so soon after the Lantern Festival felt daunting.

During the meeting, the book drive had become the main topic, drawing everyone into a flurry of suggestions and ideas. It was a project designed to encourage reading and provide resources to local schools lacking adequate libraries. The drive would also serve as a community-building exercise, especially for new students. It was one of those initiatives that sounded great on paper — a noble cause, engaging the community, fostering a love for reading. And naturally, as President, the honor of orchestrating this literary event had fallen on me.

As the room emptied, I began to gather my things. Professor Hayes approached me. "Ethan, before I go, I wanted to ask—were you able to meet with Jackson Knox for the tutoring sessions?"

I paused, the memory of our meeting at the bookstore flashing through my mind. "Yes, we met, and everything went... surprisingly well," I responded, my tone measured, concealing the whirlpool of thoughts stirred by that meeting.

Despite my efforts to remain composed, a subtle smile crept across my face as I recalled our recent email exchange. Jackson had sent a response to my notes, and to my surprise, he'd included another GIF – something light-hearted and unexpectedly cute. It was a side of him I hadn't anticipated.

Shaking off the thought, I refocused on Professor Hayes, who seemed pleased. "Good to hear, good to hear."

"Actually, I have to meet with him today," I admitted.

Professor Hayes paused, his expression thoughtful. "Oh, wonderful, but remember it's crucial that these sessions go well."

I nodded, feeling the weight of his words. "I understand, Professor. I'll make sure they're productive."

He smiled, but it was a smile that carried expectations. "I have no doubt about your capabilities, Ethan. Just make sure to balance your commitments. We don't want you burning out."

His words were meant to be encouraging, but they somehow added to the pressure, serving as a gentle reminder that I was juggling more than I could comfortably handle.

As Professor Hayes left, I felt his expectations hanging over me like a silent, weighty cloud. His belief in my abilities was flattering, yet it also felt like a double-edged sword. On one side, there was the potential for a recommendation letter, a golden ticket to my future at Havenbrook; on the other, a daunting realization that my performance was now under intense scrutiny, each action and decision potentially tipping the scales for or against me.

At least Maggie offered to take care of the proposal earlier. "Ethan, I can see you're swamped. How about I take care of the proposal for the book drive? You've got enough on your plate. After all, this is my specialty," she said.

It didn't take me by surprise. Her offer was like a lifeline, a chance to breathe amidst the relentless tide of responsibilities that threatened to pull me under. I remembered a time last semester when Maggie had stepped in without being asked to help me organize a last-minute fundraiser. She had a knack for reading people, a trait she shared with Leo.

Maggie's ability to multitask, juggling her "tabletop game gatherings" with her classes and Honor Society duties, was almost legendary. Yet, there was always this unspoken understanding in her actions, a recognition that sometimes even the strongest among us needed a break.