chapter one

________

pov: alicent when she is with her children and playing with them

________

Alicent smiles at Aegon's laughter as she plays with him and his toys. She notices drool on his chin, wipes it off with a napkin and lovingly caresses his head. She is sitting on the floor of her bedroom with Aegon's toys scattered across the floor with a six-month-old Helaena who is fighting the urge to sleep on her lap.

It had been two moons since Princess Rhaenyra had lied to her about what happened between herself and her sworn shield. The Hand of the King, Otto Hightower, and her father, had come to the king and informed him about the whispers he heard about Rhaenyra's night at the brothel and the man she was seen with. Although she denied the allegations, since then, Alicent had come to find that she and Criston Cole had slept together.

Initially, Alicent had felt betrayed because Rhaenyra had lied to her, especially since she swore on her mother's life. But after her father was dismissed as Hand due to Rhaenyra, she realised that she did not care. She didn't care about Rhaenyra and her marriage to Laenor, nor did she care about her father's plotting. All she cared about was Aegon and Helaena.

She worried for them. With the absence of her father, she realises that Rhaenyra would not harm her children and that she had been neglectful of her duty as a mother. Since Helaena's birth, Alicent had been close to her children, caring for them more than her duty as Queen. Her sweet Helaena, Alicent fell in love the moment she saw her as did Aegon. Him being a caring brother. She had decided to breastfeed instead of anyone else. She fed her children and spent most of her time with them and her ladies.

Alicent is interrupted by her thoughts through the sound of Aegon's giggling and looks up to see her lady looking at Aegon with a scolding look as he throws one of his toys at her.

Alicent smiled before lightly scolding, "Egg, you can't just throw things at people. They can get hurt." Aegon looks down before mumbling an apology and falling into her embrace. Alicent smiles as she kisses his head and fixes his hair.

Her lady coughed and said, "Your grace, Prince Daemon has arrived from the Stepstones. The King is in the Throne Room." Alicent nodded, understanding that her presence was required. She brings Helaena to her chest and kisses her forehead, before passing her to her lady.

"Let me know if she cries," Alicent instructed the handmaid, who held her dear baby as she prepared to take her to her crib. Helaena was a baby who cried a lot. A part of her knew the reason why. However, Alicent could never forget the fear in her daughters' eyes, and she screams at the top of her lungs with an endless number of tears. It broke her heart. She always instructs the maids to inform her if Helaena is distressed. Alicent is a mother, how can she be a good queen and help people if she can't even help or be there for Helaena?

Alicent turned her attention to her little boy. "Be good, Aegon, I'll be back soon," Alicent informed with a warm smile reserved for her children and only her children. She brings him into a warm embrace before kissing his cheek.

________

Alicent made her way beside the King, her husband, who sat on the Iron Throne, standing beside him. In front of them stood the crowd of people that gathered in the throne room. Alicent noticed Rhaenyra and Laenor make their way inside and try to blend in with the crowd. She must've come straight away when she saw Daemon's dragons.

Her dear friend, Rhaenyra, who was infatuated with her uncle. If anyone asked Alicent about her thoughts about Targaryen and their incest, Alicent would've recoiled in disgust. However, without her father breathing down her neck about his plotting and planning, Alicent didn't care about anyone, only her children. She performed her duty with Viserys and did what was expected of her, even though she did not enjoy it. She didn't enjoy being a pawn in her father and the people of the court's game.

She was the queen. Something every girl wished for, but not Alicent. She lost her mother very young and being surrounded by males, her brothers and her father was no better. She craved the love of a mother and family. Alicent understood that she must be better... better than her father... treat her children with love and care and make sure they know that she loves them.

Everyone heard footsteps approaching, as the crowd turned to look at the doors that clicked open. Prince Daemon Targaryen had returned to Kings Landing from the War of the Stepstones with his hair cut and shorter than usual, along with that, he wore a crown made of Driftwood. He carried an axe as he walked with his hand on his sword, Dark Sister.

Daemon began to walk to Viserys, however, was hindered in his approach by the King's Guard drawing their weapons. Although, Daemon didn't stop until his armour and the blade made contact with one another. He looked down at the blade, then looked up to his brother whilst his eyes drifted to the New Queen. Alicent didn't back down from his stare, holding her head high, causing Daemon to smirk before turning to look at his brother.

Daemon raised the axe that he was holding. "Add it to the chair". He threw as the clatter of the axe echoed through the whole room. The crowd erupted in murmurs as the King's Guard drew back their weapons and the Prince stepped back. Everyone looked to the king to see how he would react.

"You wear a crown, do you also call yourself King? Viserys asked as he stood at the top of the stairs.

"Once we smashed the triarchy which would of been near impossible without your help brother, they named me King of the Narrow Sea," Daemon spoke as the crowd began to speculate in whispers. "But I know there is only one true king, your grace," Daemon announced before dropping to his knees to kneel and show his respect and loyalty.

Viserys looked shocked as Alicent words from a few moons echoed in his head about Daemon and his loyalty. He turned to look at his wife for a moment as he pondered over the guidance that she had given before.

"My crown and the Stepstones are yours," Daemon said taking off his crown as he held it to give it to his brother.

Viserys looked around before questioning, "Where is Lord Corlys?"

"They will be here by the afternoon as they will be sailing to attend the celebration of the upcoming marriage of the Princess," Daemon informed his brother, showcasing how he knew about his niece's brothel, disclosing his feelings.

"Who holds the Stepstones?"

"The tides, the crabs, and two thousand dead Triarchy corsairs staked to the sand to warn those who might follow." After those words, Viserys approached his brother and stopped in front of him.

"Rise"

Daemon rose to his feet and the two brothers looked at each other for a moment before they embraced each other in a hug. The crowd applauds them. Once they release each other, Alicent notices a few words exchanged between the brothers before Viserys instructs his brother out of the courtroom.

________

how was that for the first chapter?!

omg i was so nervous posting this. it's so annoying because i have to complete the boring scenes before getting to the good stuff but i hope this wasn't so bad

how did you feel about it? let me know in the comments and don't forget to vote!

i'll try to update the next chapter asap. im not going to say bye but i'll just say see you later till the next update.

see you later!!

ADDITIONALLY!!
pls don't be a quiet or silent reader!!! i love reading feedback and your funny comments and opinions, it encourages me and gives me a reason to write.