chapter three

________

________

Once dinner was over, everyone slowly left, one after another, beginning with Alicent's departure as Aegon was sleeping on Laena's lap and with Rhaenyra leaving last. Now left was Viserys and Daemon who remained in the dining hall while they drank their wine.

Viserys broke the peaceful silence with his voice. "I'm glad you are back, Daemon."

Daemon looked up and spoke. "So much has changed in the Red Keep since I've left for the war." He chuckled before continuing as Viserys looked at him confused. "Well, beginning with your new wife and children."

"Alicent," Viserys spoke regarding his wife. "The council urged me to get wed again. It was between Laena and Alicent. However, Laena was a child."

"Aegon seems good. You've got the heir that you always wanted." Daemon remarked.

"He's a good kid. However, Rhaenyra will always be my heir." Viserys stated, not wanting to back down from his decision. For him, he owed it to Aemma for her blood to be on the throne. After everything he put her through.

"Why is it that you want me in Kings Landing so bad, brother?" Daemon breaks. He knew something was missing. His brother had never urged him to stay. He wanted to know why. Why should he stay at the place he lost everything? His uncle, Aemon, father, mother, and Viserys. Even though Viserys is still alive, Otto Hightower uses him as a puppet to take his hatred for the young prince out.

Viserys looked at Daemon before he directly told him the reason. "I would like for you to be my hand, brother."

Daemon looked at Viserys in shock for a moment. His brother who shipped him around him Master of Ships to Master of Laws on the small council was giving him the position that he wanted for such a long time. After the Great Council between Rhaenys and Viserys, since Daemon rallied votes for him, going kingdom to kingdom, Daemon believed that he would become the Hand of the King. However, Viserys had decided to keep Otto Hightower, as he had "more experience", denying Daemon the title that he earned. All he wanted was to be beside his brother who pushed him away at every turn and listened to his puppet master. His brother never respected him and denied any annulment between him and his wife.

"Is this some joke to you, Viserys?" Daemon spat as he furiously said his brother's name, whilst intensely glaring at him.

Viserys looked down regretfully as he spoke, "As the years have gone, House Targaryen has become smaller in numbers. There are barely any dragons in court left. We need to stick together, brother. House of the Dragon must stand united for the future."

Daemon scoffed at his brother's words. "It has taken you too long to realise what I have been saying for years, brother. I'm afraid it's too late. I also believe that this was not your idea." Daemon accuses. His brother may be blind to only notice what he had been saying for a decade. Instead, he chose to keep the Hightower by his side and left his brother abandoned. He knew that this wasn't his idea, then who was it?