Chapter 1- The Northern Water Tribe

"Hundreds of years ago, the Northern Water Tribe flourished as one of the crucial staples that made up the world; water, earth, fire and air. It was once an economic powerhouse, boasting it's glistening palace of ice behind it's stunning capital city, Agna Qel'a. Tourists from around the globe were free to enter the city's frosty streets at ease, and explore the snowy continent. The canals and pathways that made up the city central were constantly bustling with both locals and visitors alike, and an atmosphere of joy lay over the North Pole. The water tribes, both North and South, were united, and life was fun and enjoyable for all.

But then, of course, the fire nation attacked.

On a day in which an unforeseen comet boosted the power of all firebenders, Fire Lord Sozin unleashed simultaneous attacks on both Agna Qel'a and the air nomads. In the attack, the Northern Water Tribe's navy was demolished and hundreds of lives were lost, yet they were not defeated. Battered and bruised, they would go down in history as the lucky ones that day.

The brunt of the fire nation's offensive was launched at the unexpecting air nomads. Outnumbered and overpowered, almost all of the population is believed to have been wiped out within one day. The world hasn't been the same since.

After the comet, the Avatar disappeared overnight. Believed to be an air nomad, many assumed that they had died during the attack, and would be reborn into the water tribe. But decades passed, and there was still no sign of the Avatar. Some people believe that the cycle was broken altogether, and that the Avatar would never be reborn.

The water tribes have never been the same since the day of the fire nation's onslaught. Diminished and terrified, the Northern Water Tribe surrounded Agna Qel'a with a thick wall of ice. They cut off all contact with the outer wall, even their sister tribe in the South Pole. Nobody leaves the walls of Agna Qel'a now except for the tribe's fisherman. The defensive strategy of locking themselves away from the outside world has been a controversial one, though it has kept the tribe safe from any attacks.

One hundred years have now passed since the air nomads became extinct, and little has changed in the North Pole. The tribe still has its customs and rules, and they are still a recluse from the outside world. It appears as if the Northern Water Tribe has completely disconnected from the other nations, and a majority of the globe believes that it's inevitable that one day the fire nation will turn up at Agna Qel'a to finally crush the North. Some, however, still cling onto hope that this will not be the case, though. The Prodigy of the North injects this optimism into the people of the water tribe.

Roughly a decade and a half ago, something extremely rare and unexpected happened. A newborn baby boy was bathed in the spirit oasis of the Northern Water Tribe; a breathtaking pond in which the water spirits Tui and La inhabited. That wasn't the rarity, though. Many have previously placed children and babies into the depths of the oasis with no results. The miracle was that, against all odds, Tui and La blessed the baby with their power. Immediately it was claimed that the baby boy, although born to fire nation parents, would grow to be a waterbending prodigy. Dubbed 'the Prodigy of the North', it was believed that he would protect the Northern Water Tribe from any fire nation attacks. So, while the prospect of a fire nation offensive at Agna Qel'a still scares many, the people of the North sleep easy knowing that they have protection.

Still, though, the fire nation looms over the rest of the world, and still the Northern Water Tribe keeps to itself as they watch Fire Lord Ozai begin to unleash tyranny on the earth kingdom. And although the Prodigy of the North inspires many, it was only the Avatar that could inevitably defeat the evil fire lord. Only the Avatar could free the world from the fire nation's clutches.