Chapter 15- The Chase (part 2)

And so, the Avatar's plan to end the relentless chase began. Appa raised from the ground and into the air, snapping branches off the tops of trees as he did so. Myself, Sokka, Katara and Momo kept an eye down on the surface of the forest, looking for Toph.

"Toph couldn't have made it too far," Sokka said optimistically as we peered off of Appa's bare back, scanning the ground below with our eyes. However it was rapidly becoming clear that we hadn't given Appa enough time to rest. He was flying closer to the ground than usual and at a much slower pace. We could only hope that Aang's trail of fur would lead the trio of girls in the opposite direction. However, luck didn't appear to be on our side, as Momo's screeching could be heard from the back of Appa. Sokka crawled over to see what the commotion was about, only to shout out loud. I peeked over the back of Appa to see what they were reacting to, only to see the girls riding the lizards again! However, I noticed that the powerful firebender girl wasn't present anymore; just the other two, whose names I believe were Mai and Ty Lee.

"How did they find us?" Katara shouted in shock, whipping the two leads that went to Appa's horns. Usually this would speed up Appa, but his lack of sufficient sleep meant that he was quickly drifting towards the ground. For a second time today, it seemed as if we were going to have another crash landing, but this time into a river!

"We just need to make it across that river!" Sokka cried desperately, though it looked as if Appa's trajectory was going straight into the middle of the fast-flowing body of water. Deciding I wasn't going to sit around and do nothing, I jumped to my feet. After stumbling from the turbulence that the rapid decline was causing, I recovered and stood in a strong stance. "(Y/N) what the hell are you doing??" Sokka shouted at me, confused. I focused on the river below us that we were moments from making impact with. I raised my arms from my waist to above my head, creating a large wave within the river. I had timed it well; Appa made contact with the peak of the wave, which then pushed the ten ton beast to the opposite side of the river, separating us from the two girls. I gave a sigh of relief, proud that my quick thinking had worked, as we all hopped off of the resting bison. "We made it! We're safe," Sokka sighed.

"You did it, Appa!" Katara praised the bison, much to my demise.

"Yep, that was definitely all Appa..." I muttered sarcastically to myself as the two siblings gleefully exchanged a hug. The joy didn't last long, though, as we heard a splashing noise from the river. I turned my head to look at the water, to see the lizards carrying the girls effortlessly over the water! Immediately, both myself and Katara sent a wave of water in the direction of the two girls, hoping to knock them off of the giant water-walking lizards and into the water. However the girls just simply leapt from the lizards towards our side of the riverbank. The girl in pink, Ty Lee, landed on the trunk of a nearby tree, and expertly flipped from branch to branch, closing in closer to the three of us. The other girl, Mai, threw a handful of throwing knives at us as she leapt through the air onto the earth. She threw the knives with great accuracy and, in an act of selflessness, I threw the water I had in my waterbending pouch to block the blades that were heading straight towards Sokka and Katara. However, this meant that the knives directed at me hit exactly where they were aimed, which in this case was my clothes. The knives had pinned me to a nearby tree, though luckily one of my arms remained unpinned. Considering myself fortunate that they had missed my body, I tugged at one of the knives that pinned me, only to find that it wasn't budging! While I watched Katara and Sokka fight the two girls, I was essentially rendered useless for the moment. After a few minutes using all my strength, I had managed to remove the many wedged knives that trapped my clothes. However, when I glanced back up at the action, I saw Sokka laying helplessly on the floor, and Katara seemed to have suffered a similar fate to me, but both her arms were trapped, meaning she couldn't free herself.