Chapter 8- Siege of the North (part 3)

"(Y/N), wake up," A voice was saying. It was a strong, male voice, and one that I had heard before, though not very often. I opened my eyelids, and found myself still lying on the grass of the spirit oasis. I remember everything that had happened: the duel I lost to Zhao, the death of Tui. And yet, despite the pain that had previously been coursing through my body, I felt... fine. I got up from the ground and dusted myself off. I saw the familiar sights of the spirit oasis, but something was different. It was just me in the oasis and, as I peered into the spirit pond, I saw only La, the black koi fish with a white dot, circling in the pond. He said my name in his usual echoing voice. Suddenly everything made sense; I was in the spirit world. I had only crossed the barrier into this world a few times during my meditations at the oasis, but when I did Tui and La always spoke to me.

"Am I dead?" I asked the spirit, who continued to circle the pond alone endlessly.

"No, not exactly," La bluntly told me. I randomly started to cry, the warm tears helplessly running down my face as I mourned the demise of Tui. The lonely sight of La circling the pond by himself had shifted something inside of me, and I fell to my knees sobbing.

"I'm sorry I failed you, La," I sobbed at the spirit. "I was given the job to protect you, and I failed,"

"You haven't failed me," La told me. "We chose you for a reason, and I stand by our choice. We only choose to inhabit within those who have courage and heart. Hundreds have bathed in the spirit pond. Only two have ever been chosen," La explained to me.

"I don't understand," I admitted to the spirit. Everything he had said confused me.

"We have only ever chosen to bless two individuals with our power," La began to clarify. "We chose you because we saw your power, and your determination, but we also saw your heart. We knew that we could trust you to do the right thing, always. But before you, Tui chose to bless another. Somebody who had immense loyalty and courage,"

"So there's another person who has been chosen by the spirits?" I questioned, trying to make sense of it all.

"Yes, and I believe you know her rather well," he stated. "A part of Tui inhabits inside Princess Yue. She is your spirit sister,". I couldn't believe it. I had known Yue all my life, but had never known that she had also been chosen by the spirits. That would explain the strange bond I had always felt to her, as if we were close family. But none of that mattered now. Tears continued to fall down my face as I knelt next to La.

"None of that matters, now," I cried to the spirit. "Tui is dead,"

"Tui is not as far gone as you believe," La told me in his soothing voice. I was becoming more upset and confused by the minute.

"What do you mean?," I asked, genuinely baffled.

"Yue will give up her life for Tui," La explained. "She knows it's her duty,". As if by command, I suddenly heard the soft, female voice of Tui saying my name. I rubbed the tears from my eyes, clearing my fuzzy vision, and when I looked back towards the spirit pond, Tui was present again, circling La as if she had never left.

"(Y/N)," she spoke softly. "You are now the only person left who has been chosen by the spirits," she told me.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you," was all I managed to mutter to the spirit. I was still extremely confused as to how Tui had returned. Had Yue really sacrificed her life for Tui? Was she... dead?

"It is our job to protect you just as much as it is your job to protect us," Tui said to me kindly.

"You are destined for great things, (Y/N)," La continued. "It's our role to make sure that your destiny is fulfilled,". Still confused, I was about to question them until Tui cut me off.