Chapter 29- Lake Laogai (part 2)

I started to get a bit nervous as I glanced around at the numerous Dai Li agents that circled us. There was no water in the large room, so I knew that I could only rely on the limited supply of liquid in my waterbending pouch. Furthermore, I had never faced an earthbender in my life, so I had zero experience in how to fight them. Sokka must have sensed my nervous energy, as he gave me a look that said 'we've got this'. It did fill me with a bit more confidence knowing that my friends had my back.

The Dai Li agents moved first. They all sent their signature fists of earth towards our group in all directions. It was only then that I realised something horrific; I couldn't block earth! The only way that I could stop a travelling piece of earth would be to intercept it with a wall of ice, but I didn't have access to enough water for that! My muscles froze up as my brain tried to figure out what to do, as I simply watched the fists of earth travel towards me, ready to puncture my body. To my luck, Sokka came in clutch as he jumped in front of me and swung his short sword at the fists, dismantling them. This gave my struggling brain an idea, and I promptly bent some of the water from my pouch into an ice sword. With this blade I was able to defend myself from the rest of the earth fists coming in my direction, which all crumbled with a satisfying crunch.

I trapezed around for a few moments, destroying the incoming earth fists with my newly acquired sword, until I felt the earth below me shift. The ground moved sharply in one direction, causing me to stumble, and one of the Da Li's fist made contact with the side of my body, sending me hurtling to the floor. Before I could even register what was happening, I felt a sturdy earth hand grasp my leg and pull me to one direction of the room. As I was being roughly dragged across the floor, I looked at the culprit. It was Long Feng, glaring at me with an evil smirk as he controlled the giant earth hand that pulled me. Instantly I strongly threw my ice sword towards his body. It felt pretty good to see the smirk vanish from his face as he ducked, causing the hand that dragged me to let go and disappear. At the same time, I heard my sword of ice shatter against the wall, where Long Feng's head had been just moments ago.

I quickly pushed myself up from the floor and faced off against Long Feng. He wasted no time in sending an avalanche of earth roaring across the floor and towards my body. Knowing I couldn't block it, I had to lurch to one side, narrowly avoiding it. I used the remaining liquid in my waterbending pouch to create a stream of water that I circled around my body, ready to attack. I sent a whip of water at the dictator, but he simply conjured a hand of earth which grasped my whip, and yanked it sideways so I flew crashing into the wall of the room. Then he began bending large rectangular chunks of earth out of the wall, hoping that they would hit me. I managed to jump, duck and strife around the solid earth attacks, but one thing became abundantly clear; Long Feng was trying to kill me.

Eventually I ended up stood by the broken fragments of my ice sword, which I controlled so that they hovered in front of me. I sent many of the sharp ice fragments towards Long Feng's body. He managed to block most of them with his flying earth fists, leaving clouds of dust hovering in the air, but I threw the fragments with such force that it was impossible to stop them all. One of the ice fragments brushed past his right thigh, and I watched as it left a clean cut in his green robe. I hoped that it had made contact with his skin.

Not wanting to lose my advantage, I rushed towards Long Feng, avoiding the chunks of earth he threw in retaliation. I sent two streams of water towards him, curving through the air, both travelling towards different sides of his body. He pushed his hands outwards, and two large walls appeared at either side of his body, blocking my double attack. He laughed as my water splashed helplessly against the earth walls, which he then moved in front of his body, and sent hurtling towards me. My eyes widened as I watched the long slabs of rock come flying towards my body, and I braced myself for a painful impact by shielding my head with my arm. To my fortune, Toph, who was nearby fighting a number of Dai Li agents, must have sensed my situation, and sent a wave of earth towards Long Feng's earth walls, sending them of course and missing my body. I made a mental note to thank Toph for saving me later on.