Chapter 9- Aftermath

When I woke again, it was in a place rather unfamiliar with me. I was inside what appeared to be a warm, well-lit cave. I rubbed my eyes as I sat myself up, peering around the room. I had awoken on a comfy bed, and nearby I had a bedside table. Around the room were some more beds, some occupied, and vases of water were scattered around the room. Though I had never been here for very long, I was able to identify the room as the healing bay. That would explain why my arms were both wrapped in a large amount of bandage, though I had no memory as to why. I had been stripped of my clothing, and I was now simply wearing a bland white shirt and basic trousers. An older lady with grey hair, who had been wandering around the room, approached me. It was Yagoda, the tribe's best healer.

"Oh good, you're awake," she stated, smiling dearly at me.

"How long have I been out for?" I asked her, quick to get straight to the point. I didn't feel tired at all, so I assumed that I had been passed out for a while.

"About twelve hours," she told me. "Your friends were worried sick, though,". I thought of all of my friends and family; had they survived the attack? In fact, had we even won? Before I could ask an onslaught of questions, I saw the familiar figure of Master Pakku walking down the healing bay. When he saw me, he had a proud look on his face.

"(Y/N)!" he exclaimed upon his approach. Questions still on my mind, I blurted out my top priority.

"Is the tribe okay?" I hastily asked the waterbending master, who smiled at me deeply.

"We have a bit of rebuilding to do, but we're fine," he calmly told me, allowing me to relax, before adding "Thanks to you,".

"Thanks to me? What did I do?" I asked him, completely bewildered. The events of the last twenty four hours were all still a blur to me. All I remember was the fire nation attacking, and Zhao getting away. Immediately I felt a tinge of frustration. I can't believe that Zhao had survived and managed to get away unharmed, and worst of all, it was because I let him live.

"I think I'll let your friends tell you," Pakku told me with a grin, and I quickly heard somebody shout my name. Master Pakku moved out of the way, allowing me to see Aang excitedly running down the hall of the healing bay, Katara and Sokka behind him. "I'll let you talk to your friends," Master Pakku told me. "But just know that I'm proud of you,".

By now Aang had swiftly gotten to the side of my bed, and Master Pakku excused himself, telling me he'd visit me later. Aang was quick to start a conversation with me, his friends by his side. Needing clarification of the recent events, I cut whatever statement Aang was making.

"So what the hell happened?" I asked them with a smile. Sokka was quick to answer me energetically.

"It was amazing!" he exclaimed, excitedly throwing his hands about in the air. "Aang went all Avatar state, and you went all spirit mode, and you two totally kicked the fire nation's butts," he described. Despite his excitement, I was totally dumbfounded.

"Spirit mode?" I asked him quizzically with an eyebrow raised.

"Yeah, spirit mode!" Sokka unhelpfully reaffirmed. I continued to look at the trio in a state of pure confusion.

"What Sokka means to say," Katara started. "Is that the ocean spirits released a huge attack on the fire nation. Aang turned into this blue ocean monster, and you became all weird and powerful. Your eyes were glowing black and white," she explained, and suddenly it all came back to me. The fight at the oasis with Zhao, the death of Tui, my conversation with the two ocean spirits. And then, finally, the power that the spirits had given me, and my assault on the fire nation. But I also remembered something else; something that filled me with great sadness. Yue. I looked at the trio, and noticed a sadness behind Sokka's eyes.