Chapter 4- The Waterbending Master (part 2)

When I woke up the next morning, it was with a feeling of dread in my stomach. As I replayed the events of the previous evening in my head it made me feel nauseous. After Master Pakku had caught me secretly teaching waterbending to Aang and Katara, the latter whom it was against tradition to teach, the Avatar had promised that he would fix things. I hope that he could find away. Everyone knew that teaching a female how to use waterbending for combat was against the tribe's beliefs. It was crime that could potentially be punished with banishment! I tried to push that thought out of my head as I lay in bed restlessly.

After somehow finding the desire to roll out of bed, I slowly got dressed, dreading leaving my room. When I finally walked into the kitchen, I saw both of my parents sat at the wooden table, staring at me with a look which insinuated annoyance.

"Do you have anything to say for yourself, young man?" my father asked me, a look of fury in his eyes. I said nothing in response, but I shook my head slowly. "We have sacrificed so much in order to fit into the tribe. We asked the spirits to bless you at birth, we found you the greatest waterbending teacher in the world. We found a lovely fiancé for you to soon marry. And you just ruined it all," My father began, before I cut him off. Years of pent up rage had built inside of me from being forced to have a miserable childhood, and I was ready to let it out all.

"I didn't ask for any of that!" I exploded at them. "I didn't ask to be chosen by the spirits. I didn't ask to become a waterbender. And I certainly didn't ask to be forced into an arranged marriage!" I shouted, before instantly realising that I messed up. Nobody was supposed to know that Kyana and I secretly had no romantic feelings towards each other, and in my rage I had revealed it. In the span of twelve hours everything in my life was falling to pieces, and I felt completely empty inside.

"But you love Kyana," my mother begged, tears starting to form in her eyes. I was too upset to hide the truth anymore.

"Not in a romantic way..." I admitted, before I opened the front door and slammed it behind me, leaving the house. I hadn't even grabbed breakfast, but it's not as if I was hungry anyway. I walked across the ice city for a while, pitying myself, before a familiar voice called my name. It was Kyana, and I heard her running behind me before her hand grabbed my shoulder.

"(Y/N), what the hell happened?" she asked, but not in an angry way. She seemed genuinely sympathetic towards me, so I turned around to face her slowly.

"Everything's over," I admitted. "I broke the rules of the tribe. I taught a woman how to waterbend, and I admitted to my parents that we aren't truly in love. I'm sorry," I started to cry, tears forming in the corner of my eyes. "And now my parents hate me," I added. Kyana brought me in for a hug and tried to reassure me.

"Nobody hates you," she told me. "And I'm certain everything isn't over," she tried to comfort me.

"But Master Pakku might refuse to continue to train me. Or even worse, I could be banished," I mumbled into her shoulder, trying to hold back my tears.

"Not if the Avatar has anything to say about it," she informed me. "He's in the palace talking to the chief right now trying to defend you,". I broke out of her embrace, and gave her a questioning look. She quickly nodded to enforce that she was telling the truth. Instantly I knew I had to join Aang in the ice palace, as it was the only way I could save myself. Without another word I sprinted towards the ice palace, hoping I could make it in time. I gave a big sigh of relief when I entered the throne room to see Aang, Katara and Sokka. In front of them was Chief Arnook and Master Pakku with a few of the other respected members of the tribe. I silently join the trio, standing next to Aang, while the dispute between everyone continued.