Chapter 25- Prodigies and Plans

(2 months earlier)

The fire nation is truly a beautiful place. Many have differing opinion on the people that originate from the great country, but few can deny that its beautiful cities and stunning beaches and islands aren't magnificent sights to lay the eyes on. The capital city was no exception; located in the warmth of a volcano and surrounded by lush green valleys and mountains. On this particular day, the sun was beaming down on the city, giving it a majestic glow. And yet, for one individual, there were no positive thoughts. It didn't matter what the weather was like, or how beautiful the city was. Admiral Zhao was miserable.

Zhao had just returned from a failed invasion of the Northern Water Tribe. He had planned to invade Agna Quel'a, the tribe's capital city, and murder the physical representation of the moon spirit in cold blood, in front of the entire tribe. He had been successful in that task- the task that he had been planning for years to achieve- and yet he felt no joy, only misery. The moon spirit, against all odds, had somehow survived his attack. Thank god it was daytime, he thought to himself. The thought of seeing the moon boasting in the night's sky would drive him to insanity.

Now, all that was left of his attack was a stinging pain in his left side; an injury sustained by his own nephew, who was more powerful than Zhao knew. Zhao had heard rumours of the supposed 'Prodigy of the North'. A waterbender who had been blessed by the ocean spirits ever since birth, and so possessed legendary waterbending powers. The theory was that this waterbender was destined to defend his tribe, the Northern Water Tribe, against any outside attack. Of course, Zhao had brushed off the rumours. Most of the people of the fire nation had disregarded the rumours. For centuries people had theorized about benders who were blessed by spirits, but none ever ended up existing. That is, until now, it seemed.

But what the Admiral hadn't been prepared for was that the Prodigy of the North was his nephew. Of course, he knew that his brother had ran away years ago with his wife, who was pregnant at the time. (Y/N). That was the name that Zhao's brother had been adamant about naming his son. But Zhao had no clue that his brother, and his brother's wife, had moved to the Northern Water Tribe. But it made sense the more he thought about it. His brother had known of Zhao's desire to one day destroy the moon spirit, so of course he moved to the Northern Water Tribe. Of course he blessed his child with the water spirits, so that he would one day grow up to defend the tribe from Zhao.

Still clutching his injured left side, Zhao staggered through the courtyard of the fire nation royal palace. The great building, made of stone pillars and red walls with gold decoration, towered in front of the flat courtyard, where Zhao walked. It was truly a majestic sight, and a place of great fortune. After all, the fire lord and his family lives inside the palace. To Zhao, the palace is the place where he was given the rank of Commander. But still, the now-Admiral felt not even a sliver happiness as he approached the daunting building. Zhao had a meeting with Fire Lord Ozai, the most powerful firebender in the world, to discuss the Admiral's expedition, and Zhao wasn't looking forward to it.

As Zhao passed through the main entrance of the palace, past the many firebender guards that protected the fire lord, an unfamiliar sensation began to set inside of him. He felt a lump develop in his throat, and all of his body seemed to become hot and sweaty. Admiral Zhao was nervous. He had fought countless powerful benders, and risked his life in the process, but that had never thrown off the Admiral. Only Fire Lord Ozai could make him truly anxious, and the feeling only seemed to grow as he approached an old man with a white beard and moustache, dressed in red fire nation robes. It was the fire lord's messenger, who stood ready to meet Zhao.

"Admiral Zhao, I see you have arrived back safely after your return trip from the North," the messenger spoke in a nasally voice.

"Indeed," Zhao mumbled deeply, wanting to be anywhere but here.