Chapter 22- The Serpent's Pass (part 2)

The next day we all woke up rather early, and quickly began to continue our trek cross the Serpent's Pass. So far it had gone rather smoothly, except for the encounter with the fire nation battleship. However, it wasn't long until we found ourselves face-to-face with another issue. We had begun following the path downhill, but we soon realised that the path lowered to such an extent where a quite a bit of it was covered completely by the ocean. This meant that we couldn't cross the path any further.

"Well, it's a good thing we have waterbenders with us," I muttered under my breath as Katara stood in front of everyone.

"Everyone single file!" she ordered, and the group quickly complied. I stood at the front of the line next to Katara, though, wanting to help. Katara, however, clearly had other plans. "(Y/N), no waterbending, remember," she told me as she gestured to my arm.

"But I can help!" I pleaded, though she gave me one stern glare that told me no. With a groan, I stood single file like everybody else. Katara began to bend the water in front of her so that it was pushed out of all of our way, clearing the path ahead. She continued doing this until we were completely underwater, though she still kept the surrounding water away so that we were in a safe bubble. However, after I minute I could see that Katara was beginning to struggle. I knew she was a good waterbender, and her healing powers were certainly superior to mine, but she didn't have the pure waterbending strength that I possessed, and I knew that I could help. "Katara, let me help," I offered helpfully.

"No, you're supposed to be resting your arm," she strictly enforced as she concentrated on bending the water around of us. "Aang, come and help me," she shouted, and Aang quickly assisted her. Grumpily, I stood towards the back of the underwater bubble, next to Sokka and Suki.

"Why won't she let me help?" I complained to Sokka, who looked at me sympathetically.

"She's just trying to keep us all safe and healthy," Sokka reasoned with a shrug. "Although, you could probably keep up this water bubble with just one hand knowing your waterbending strength," he added, which made me smile. I was about to thank him, but suddenly a huge, looming shadow could be seen through the water, and it looked to be very close by.

"What is that thing?" Katara said worriedly as we all watched the long, intimidating silhouette pass by. Then, in an instant, whatever it was unexpectedly dove at the water bubble! I could see a flash of green scales burst through the bubble, and shrieks could be heard from all of us within it. Our safe bubble, now interrupted by whatever the hell was attacking us, broke down, and water began to flood in. Immediately, I tried bending the surrounding water away to keep us safe, but my efforts were flawed. As soon as I extended my arms to push the water away, my injured left arm filled with pain at the sudden motion. As a result, I wasn't able to do anything. Now I understood why Katara was urging me to rest. Water began to envelope all of us, but luckily Toph must have been thinking quickly, as we all began to rise towards the surface. She had raised the earth of the seabed so that it pushed us up above the water. We were all sopping wet, but safe for the moment.

"What the hell is that thing?" I shouted out, though nobody replied. Everybody was too busy watching the surface of the water. Whatever beast had attacked us began circling around us from under the water, as if it were a vulture circling its prey. Then, it suddenly broke out of the water, making us all jump and shout out loud. It extended itself vertically so we could all see it. It was huge, at least fifty feet tall- and we could only see from its neck upwards- pattern with turquoise scales with purple lines. It's face had two frills and a long tongue, which we could see clearly alongside it's many razor-sharp teeth that it boasted as it screeched at us.

"I think I just figured out why it's called the Serpent's Pass!" Sokka unhelpfully screamed. "Suki, you know about giant see monsters! Make it go away!" he added, clearly terrified as the rest of us.