CH 5.3 The Attack Begins

The camp was suddenly lit up brighter than day, the light from the starry night sky blocked out by a blinding bluish-white light. The sound of glass shattering shook the ground beneath them. "Prepare your armies."

"Doesn't she come in the day anymore?" Rile grumbled and Alex nodded against his chest in agreement, still half asleep.

The brothers exited the tent to face the Portal Guardian, but Alex refused to get up.

The Portal Guardian's voice rose in volume as her form shimmered. "Time is running out. I can no longer hold off the Adversary off. He must be planning to breach the portals into this realm. Already, he has sent his servants to other worlds to spread havoc and destruction. I cannot spare any more of my own to help you and the Field Commander Guardian is using his forces as well." Her gaze shifted back and forth between the heroes, scanning their faces for understanding. "You must act quickly; before tomorrow morning at dawn, the dark portals will open."

Gabe strapped on his sword and ran off after a cursory goodbye. Cale and Rile went back inside the tent.

"Gabe's in overdrive now." Rile stroked Alex's unruly hair to help her wake up.

"We all must be," Cale said in his kind way.

Alex moaned. "Coffee. Beignets."

Rile chuckled. "Tea and sausage rolls, my love."

"Sweet rolls?" Alex turned her pleading look up at him.

"I'll find both." Cale buckled on his sword, the scabbard creaking with its weight. "We should spread the word among the armies that the Portal Guardian will touch their swords to enable them to send energy from the monsters and portals back to her."

"You're not our servant." Alex sat up with obvious reluctance. "We can go to breakfast together. Fire truck not having coffee."

Cale smiled down at her. "You've never treated me like a servant. I know where to wheedle some sweet rolls and am happy to give you time to face the morning, your least favorite time of the day."

Alex stood and hugged him. "You are nearly perfect. And I said 'nearly' so you won't get in trouble with the Portal Guardian."

He laughed, and Alex enjoyed the way it reverberated through his chest into hers. Flustered, she broke the embrace and fluffed her hair as a distraction. "I miss showers."

Rile embraced her. "Go on, brother, while I mollify our very mammalian teammate."

***

Cale surprised them by returning with not just food, but also Gabe. As they sat around the campfire eating breakfast, they discussed war tactics.

"I think the regular troops should have at least four to a portal to drain the energy." Cale tapped his Guardian sword for emphasis, and everyone nodded.

"I want you to learn more hand signals, Alex," Gabe said.

"Okay, but why?"

"I want constant aerial recon. The information will be invaluable."

"What? I want to fight, not just fly in circles." Alex savagely tore into a large sweet roll, sensing she would lose this argument.

Cale handed her a second roll. "You can blast whatever you find as you fly sweeps. That's invaluable fighting."

"Agreed," Gabe said quickly, smiling at his middle brother. "Now, Alex, let's set up new signals while Cale and Rile review the troops. We'll reconvene at the main training ground in four hours."