CH 13.1 Unexpected Freedom

Amidst the hustle and bustle of setting up their tent, Alex couldn't help but notice how relaxed and cheerful she felt. For once, she didn't feel on edge or suspicious around other females because now they had to like her. Still, she wanted to win them over with her infectious mood, and it seemed to work. As they went about their chores, she received more smiles, nods, and friendly greetings than ever before.

But when one passing female made a snide remark, Alex's grin only widened as she thought to herself: no Gabe for you!

"You seem happy," Cale commented, his smile matching hers.

Alex told him her thoughts. She knew he would appreciate it, he had stayed up late watching old Seinfeld episodes with her and could quip the Seinfeld and the Soup Nazi as well as she could. When Rile asked why they were laughing, they told him, but Alex blushed in silence when Gabe asked. Rile told him and Alex relaxed once Gabe laughed. He had seen that episode, too.

"I didn't realize how tense other females were making you," Gabe said.

"Me either. That miserable Cla came here to imprison you and instead both of us end up much more free. I take great satisfaction in that," Alex replied.

Ture's weary steps were supported by a gnarled cane, and he hobbled towards the campfire. As he approached, Cale stood up to offer his assistance, but Ture waved him off with a smile. "I may be old, but I'm not completely helpless," he joked.

Cale nodded respectfully and gestured towards a nearby log for Ture to sit on. "Would you like some tea?"

Ture chuckled and shook his head. "No, no, young Guardian. I am of age to drink wine whenever I please, even in the morning."

Alex grinned mischievously. "I like the way you think. Have you ever been to New Orleans on Earth?"

"I see they must have wine for breakfast. I would very much like to visit this 'New Orleans.' Whatever happed to the old Orleans? Was it destroyed in a war?"

Alex smiled at him indulgently as she retrieved the wineskin and poured mugs for them all. "Nothing so dramatic. It's a vibrant city full of music, food, and drinks. In fact, for breakfast there we mix bubbly wine with fruit juice and indulge in a buffet feast."

Ture took a grateful sip of his wine and looked puzzled. "Bubbling wine? How do they make that?"

"I don't know. I just drink it." Alex sat next to him and Cale was quick to sit on Ture's other side, offering him a plate of cheese and bread.

When Ture selected his food, Rile helped himself to cheese and bread. Rile sat next to Alex, while Gabe chose to sit next to Cale.

After Ture had eaten half of his food, he said, "Young Guardian Cale, you look like you will jump out of your hide with your questions."

Cale answered immediately, "It's the change in The Adversary's tactics."

Ture nodded and took a bite of bread. He chewed slowly, looking off in the distance, eyes unfocused. "When I began as a Guardian, The Adversary declared open warfare on various worlds, but never Olam. You know that the Portal Guardian is in charge of her Guardian teams only, while the Field Commander Guardian is in charge of large armies. Olam is apparently too small for army warfare.

When Aris was marked in battle, the Portal Guardian took us home for him to heal. It was on Olam that The Adversary sent a female incarnation to rape and torture and bleed him. After I—" Ture's hands shook visibly and he trailed off before picking up his wineglass and taking a long drink.

After a tense moment of silence, he cleared his throat and continued, "After I killed her and Aris, The Adversary scurried under the sand like a coward. Until he slaughtered your clan under the cloak of darkness. Then he progressed to open warfare, only to be beaten back, defeated by the cleverness of Cale and using your Guardian swords to drain the dark portals."