CH 6.2 Hateful Old Reptile

The next morning, Gabe greeted them with a too-chipper voice. "I've arranged for Alex to take sword lessons. Cale and Rile, you'll be accompanying her to Sword Master Rake's."

Rile and Cale both froze, their eyes wide with shock. Alex felt her stomach tighten at their reaction.

"How did you get him to agree to teach a female?" Rile asked in disbelief.

So that was it. A chauvinist. Perfect.

"I explained she was a Guardian. He listens to reason," Gabe said with a shrug. "Let's go."

Cale and Rile shot one another dubious glances as they headed towards the lesson area. Cale's claws clicked nervously together with every step. Alex took a deep breath, gathering her courage as they neared the training area. There he was–Sword Master Rake, standing in a circle of sand lined by logs, clad in leather armor and holding a sword at his side.

Rake stared at Alex with his intense, dark brown eyes, dripping with condescension. His lips were curled in a sneer as he spoke, disdain lacing every word. "You're the female claiming to be a Guardian."

Alex held her gaze steady, her fingers tight around the hilt of her blade. A flicker of fire lit up inside her. "I claim nothing. You have a problem with my job description: take it up with the Portal Guardian. She's female, by the way."

"A Guardian who can't use a sword." Rake's claws flicked dismissively at her equipment.

The flames rose higher as she felt a challenge ignite within her. "A Guardian with a Guardian sword and some sword skills, but I admit I need lessons. Are you willing to teach me or just continue to insult me?"

Rake recoiled, obviously taken aback by Alex's firmness and strength of character. "Speak to me with respect, female," he snapped, indignation tightening his voice.

"Earn it," Alex retorted.

Rake brought up his longsword in an instant, and Alex followed suit with her Guardian sword. The hilt of his blade was a reddish wood, its pommel stone glimmering green.

So we're using live steel and no protection? Does this guy hate me enough to kill or maim me?

Alex looked at the brothers for reassurance. Gabe looked eerily calm, Rile angry, and Cale clacked his claws in anxiety. Rake put one hand behind his back in a show of disdain. Alex grit her teeth but kept both hands on the hilt of her Guardian sword. A green opalescent crack on the opal pommel stone pulsed and sword training lessons flowed into her mind.

Alex sprang forward, slashing her weapon at Rake. His blade flashed up to meet hers with a metal screech and he spun aside, dodging her wild blow. She pivoted on the balls of her feet and crossed her sword in his path just in time to block his rapid counterstrike. But his lunge was too fast. Alex yelped as his broadsword bit into her cheek and she rocked back, tasting blood.

The contemptuous sneer on his draconic face made it clear that it was a warning. "You would have been dead, 'Guardian', had I so wished," Rake said.

Alex wiped away the trickle of blood and spat out an equally venomous reply: "I would have blasted you, reptile, had this been a match for survival."

His expression twisted with fury, and he slashed upwards. This time Alex blocked and ran her blade down his. She twisted her blade at the end so his fingers were cut, but only shallowly, because of the guard.

Rake flowed backwards, surprise registering briefly in his eyes as he glanced at his bleeding fingers.

"If you didn't want your blood drawn, you shouldn't have drawn mine," Alex said nastily. When Rake looked back at her with fire in his gaze, her lips curled into a cruel smirk. "Cut by a female. Must be the worst day of your life, misogynist pig."