CH 6.1 Smart Aleck

Halfway to the infirmary, Alex stirred, her eyes flickering open. She looked up at Cale and felt his powerful body beneath her own as he carried her. "Where are we going?" she asked, clutching Cale around the neck.

He simply answered, "Infirmary."

Without warning, Alex took off with Cale in tow, flying straight up into the sky. The monster below let out an ear-piercing squall as it fell on its slimy face onto the ground that a second ago had held its prey.

"Thanks."

"We'll call it even." Alex kept rubbing her chest, trying to soothe the pain. She could feel a frozen metal pick piercing her heart, and every breath felt like a struggle. She tried to keep her voice light as she spoke. "I'm fine now. Let's find Gabe; he needs us." She didn't want Cale asking questions and sending her off to the infirmary.

They found Gabe leading a charge against a phalanx of monsters. Alex cursed her lack of charge. She dropped Cale next to Gabe and drew her sword. With two hands on the hilt, she thrust into the mass of monsters, slicing through their hides one by one. Still, none of them disappeared, but they grew weaker with each stroke of her blade. The warriors around her followed her lead, driving their weapons into the beasts until they were destroyed.

"Alex!" Gabe yelled from amidst the carnage. He waved his arm in a wide arc—his signal for her to come pick him up. "Fly us for a recon before heading back to Gaza's strategy tent," he instructed. "Cale is in charge here."

Back in the strategy tent, Gabe and Gaza huddled together with their heads tilted close as they discussed tactics. Alex tried to slip out. She made her knees wobble and held a hand to her head, mostly for effect, so as not to disgrace Gabe by her departure.

"Alex, I need you." Gabe's voice halted her. "Please come here." He led her aside and whispered, "I don't want to forbid you to fight, but you are out of charge. A black portal struck you, and I don't know what that did to you. Stay here a little longer."

Alex reluctantly returned to the corner of the tent, waiting for Gabe and Gaza to finish planning. After a few more minutes of conversation, Gabe came over to her.

"Please fly me to the different divisions to give orders."

None of their own side shot at them this time. Gabe gestured and pointed out a third division. When Alex veered, they noticed two figures engaged in a desperate battle with monsters - Cale and Rile. With no hesitation, Gabe and Alex drew their swords and Alex speed-burst. With an increased speed powering their blades, they sliced through the horde of monsters with ease. After cutting through the wall of monsters surrounding their friends, Gabe dropped her hand once he reached Cale and Rile.

Alex turned for another sweep and screamed as a white-hot pain seared through her back. From the corner of her eye, she saw the monster as it clawed through her slipstream. She rolled over and cut power, making sure the beast hit the ground first. Before she could recover from the rough landing, however, the creature twisted and slammed Alex to the ground.

She frantically flipped over so that her sword was across her chest, clanging against the sharp claws that were aiming for her vulnerable heart. Since she was powerless to blast, the monster bore down on her, yellow saliva drooling on her face. Then Rile's sword swept through the monster just before its claws tore into her skin.

Alex wiped her face with her sleeve. "Thanks."

She took his offered hand, only to be flung forward as Rile tossed her out of the way. He sliced through a creature and swung to slice another. Alex brought her sword up in a two-handed grip.

Alex let out a frustrated groan. "I hate running out of power."

"I told you to practice your swordsmanship more," Rile said.