CH 7.1 Battles

The next morning, the brothers let Alex and Rile sleep in, and Cale even left sweet rolls for them. Rile enjoyed the luxurious warmth of sleeping with Alex and stroked her hair while she slowly woke up. This eased her usual awakening panic. Once Alex saw the sweet rolls, she took one and ripped off a piece. Rile grabbed her hand and brought it to his lips, brushing them against her skin as he accepted the treat. They both laughed softly and snuggled back into the bedroll.

Once they finished enjoying the sweet rolls and each other, Rile said, "Time for lessons with Rake. Do you feel up to it? I'll tell him no. He doesn't scare me."

Alex gingerly buttoned up her blouse because it hurt less than putting on her padded tunic. "The old chauvinist doesn't scare me either." Alex picked up her wooden practice sword and also brought her Guardian sword as a reminder of her status to the hateful reptile. "I need the lessons."

Alex preferred lessons with Rake to discussing what had happened with the injured Agama. When they reached the secluded patch of sand bordered by thick logs, she noticed Rake already in the center. His back faced them as he twirled a wooden training sword between his fingers with considerable skill. Alex felt a mixture of jealousy and intimidation at the show.

He turned around and ordered, "Blade up."

Alex handed Rile her Guardian sword, brought up her wooden practice sword, entered the ring, and waited for Rake's attack. She was best at defense and hoped to hold her own for a decent amount of time. Gabe, Rile, and Cale sat on the logs and watched. They always practiced after Alex's lesson because Rake made sure he was at his freshest to spar with Alex while she was tired.

Jerk, I should have known a chauvinist pig was a cheater.

Rake advanced with a flurry of strikes and jabs, and Alex stumbled backward, desperately parrying each attack. The edge of her heel struck the marker log. With an animalistic growl, Rake pressed his wooden sword against hers—the force so intense that it knocked her off balance. Knowing she was beaten, Alex released her weapon as Rake's sword crashed into the ground beside her.

Destabilized, Rake lurched forward and put his hand out reflexively to steady himself. His hand slipped forward on Alex's chest, popping open the buttons on her blouse as it slid under. A brilliant flash blew him backwards into the sand. Alex snatched one of the regular swords lying next to the marker log and ran to him. She placed the tip on his throat as he lay face up.

"You can beat me black and blue with a wooden practice blade. You can cut me with a sword until the sand turns red with my blood. You can even demean me by calling me 'female' instead of my name, but you will never touch me again."

"So, female, you've got limits."

Alex tossed the sword onto his chest. "I've got limits. Care to test them further? You'll face me with all my powers. I do not submit to molesters or rapists because they hate females."

When Gabe looked like he was going to protest, Rile shook his head at him.

"Rapists?" Rake asked in a shocked tone and his gaze turned to the old wounds crossing Alex's chest. They disappeared under the flapping edge of the shirt, torn open by his hand. "I'm no rapist. My students are trained to never surrender until I tell them and you released the tension on our blades without command. But those are no battle scars."

"Give the hateful old reptile an award for figuring it out by himself." Alex buttoned her blouse. "Do you feel more confident seeing my scars, arrogant male? Think I'm an even weaker female now because some male tortured me and left me with them? Why don't we find out? Males like you need a lesson and I'm the master now with my powers."