CH. 16.3 The Battle

At midnight, dark portals materialized on the outskirts of their camp. Putrid red flames licked at the edges, casting an eerie glow over the area. The blaring alarm jolted the brothers awake and they scrambled to get ready for battle. Alex groaned and resisted as Rile tried to pull her up. The stench of rotting flesh wafted towards them from the portals, causing them to gag.

"Fire truck the Adversary and the horse he rode in on," she grumbled as she wiped the sleep out of her eyes with one hand and grabbed her sword with the other. "Fire truck midnight and all the celestial beings who disturb it."

Gabe burst out of the tent, pulling Alex. She stumbled and nearly fell, her hand instinctively gripping the hilt of her Guardian sword as she steadied herself. Gabe pointed up at the sky, his expression tense. Five dragons emerged from dark portals high above, followed by four smaller wyrms in a tight formation.

Alex cursed under her breath and would have charged off on her own, but Rile grabbed her wrist just in time. They speed-burst into the air but Gabe's horn sounded 'Alex return' which elicited a stream of foul words from her. With a determined look on her face, she flew towards the closest portal with her sword held firmly in front of her.

Rile withdrew his sword as well, both swords cutting through the swirling energy of the portal as they touched it. The rush of power made Alex's head spin and disoriented her flight, causing them to veer dangerously close to the ground.

"Let's not die in the first ten seconds of battle!" Rile shouted at her, and she corrected her course enough to land in a spray of dirt in front of Gabe.

With a fierce battle cry, Cale raised his sword to the sky and began reciting an ancient prayer. His fellow soldiers looked at him in shock. Suddenly, a dome of bluish white fire erupted over their camp, blinding them temporarily.

Rile's voice rang out in disbelief, "The Portal Guardian could have done that too?!

The voice of a thousand thunders rolled across the land, "I bestow upon the Agama warriors the gift of flight for a short period of time! Your body will have enhanced muscle endurance, coordination, and sight necessary for flight. But beware, this gift comes at a cost of twenty dry seasons off your lifespan. Those who are brave enough to volunteer must simply jump and spread your wings."

Alex watched as the male Agama warriors sprinted, their muscular legs propelling them forward with impressive speed. The larger ones flapped their wings in powerful strokes, soaring high above the others, while the smaller ones darted through the air with quick and agile movements. Each had their swords drawn and this time a feather from a giant bluish-white wing of light brushed the tips of their swords.

A deep laugh alerted them to Argo, far higher than his warriors, flying upwards.

"That idiot!" Gabe cursed, and Alex regarded him with wide eyes, as Gabe had nothing but the highest of praise for his childhood friend. "Alex! Tell him this instant to not out-fly his troops!"

Alex speed-burst up, but Rile, well used to her ways, had already gripped her wrist.

"Hey Golden Clan Heir!" Rile shouted in a merry tone. "Gabe says you're an idiot for out-flying your troops!"

Argo let out another hearty laugh and gracefully descended towards the ground, landing next to Gabe with a cocky grin on his face.

"Hurry! I cannot maintain this shield!" The Portal Guardian's voice boomed through the air, a deep and commanding tone that echoed off the surrounding mountains. "There are only three dragons and their wyrms. I must assist another world who is dealing with a dozen dragons and their wyrm flocks."