Ch2: The Nightshift

A/N: In the original Freddy was weird on purpose

Words: 1788

┌─── ∘°❉ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ❉°∘ ───┐

You hear a noise to your left. That's not unusual considering how old this building is. You think nothing of it and stay in your current position, that being slumped over the desk with your head resting in your arms. While sleeping on the job isn't the best practice, your phone died and you had literally nothing else to do. You're almost asleep again when you hear another noise which your more awake brain identifies as some sort of metallic clang. You're unfortunately more awake now. Longing to get back to sweet unconsciousness, you decide to make a game of it and count the seconds in between the clangs. They're nice and evenly spaced, about three seconds apart. You sigh, it must be the air conditioning. You're almost gone, but there's that little nagging voice in your head that so often prevents you from getting a good night's rest.

If it's the air conditioning, then why is it getting louder?

Your eyes snap open, you're sure awake now. Most of your view is obscured by your arms, the only thing you can really see is the clock reading 2:30 AM. Hot blood pumps to your face in time with the clanging. The clanging that sure sounds a lot more like footprints than an air conditioner. You feel like bait. Like whatever's coming is going to get you like a sitting duck. You think about running, you can picture the route you'd take perfectly, but you can't move. Not even an inch.

You were a good student. You got mostly As and your teachers loved you. The sciences were your favorite, you were thinking of becoming a therapist. In the first semester of your senior year of highschool, you got accepted to a good college with a full ride scholarship. Then, the second semester rolled around and you froze. Suddenly, assignments that were once easy seemed impossible, you couldn't turn in anything. Nothing was good enough. You managed to fail almost every class and you lost the scholarship. You don't blame the school or your teachers, it wasn't their fault. You just wish you did your homework or turned in your essays, you wish you weren't too petrified to move when you woke up every morning, you wish the weight of knowing you were wanted hadn't crushed you.

The footsteps are almost at the door, they're so loud. You're still in the same position, now with tears in your eyes. With every clank your breathing grows more shallow. You know it's coming from the left, you know all you have to do is push the door button. All you have to do is get up. If you don't it'll be just like highschool, and God damn it you're not losing this, too.

In one fluid movement you spring up from your seat, turn around, and press the button. The door closes with a bang, quickly followed by a quieter thud and an unmistakably human voice.

"Owwww,"

That was... unexpected. Acting on adrenaline fueled curiosity, you open the door and turn on the light. A tall man stands in the doorway, squinting in the light. He has slightly tanned skin and wears a waiter's uniform. He blinks as his eyes adjust to the light and smiles. There's a slight gap between his two front teeth and he looks down at you with warm red eyes. His long purple hair is tied in a clumsy ponytail and he has... bunny ears?

He's a bit fidgety and rocks on his feet.

"Hi," he says, "I'm Bonnie."

You immediately pass out.

─── ∘❉(・⊝・)❉∘ ───

You come to sitting on your office chair faced away from the desk. You don't even have time to convince yourself you had just dreamed the whole thing because when your eyes adjust you see that man sitting criss-cross applesauce on the floor. His eyes meet yours and he instantly perks up. The way you're blatantly staring at him is probably rude, but he pays no mind. He scooches towards you, way too close, you can almost feel his breath on your legs.