Chapter 37: Shattered Illusions

Outside Jake's House:

Detective Alfredo: (calmly) "Jake, we need to talk. Tell me exactly what happened."

Jake: (nervously) "I... I was upstairs. I heard a noise downstairs, and I thought someone had broken in. I grabbed a bat, and when I came back, my dad surprised me. I swung, and he fell. I didn't mean to... I didn't want this."

Detective Alfredo: (compassionately) "Take your time, Jake. Accidents happen. But I need you to be honest with me."

Jake: (teary-eyed) "I swear, Detective. I never wanted this. It was a mistake."

Meanwhile, Emily eavesdrops on a conversation between Detective Alfredo and a police officer.

Police Officer: "So, what's the plan, Detective?"

Detective Alfredo: (whispering) "We're charging him with homicide. Make it look good. But keep an eye out for anything unusual. I don't like how this is unfolding."

Emily: (whispering to the group) "Something's not right. I overheard the detective. He's saying it's homicide, that Jake intentionally killed his dad."

Daniel: (concerned) "What? That's not true. Jake would never—"

Jessica: (interrupting) "We need to do something. We can't let them arrest Jake for a crime he didn't commit."

Back to Detective Alfredo:

Detective Alfredo: (speaking to another officer) "It looks intentional. We're charging him with homicide. Take him in."

Back with the Group:

Jessica: (whispering to Jake) "You need to run, Jake. Go to the cabin in the woods. We'll figure this out. It's your only chance."

Jake: (hesitant) "But I didn't do anything wrong."

Emily: "Jake, they won't believe us. Run, and let us handle this. We'll find a way to clear your name."

Jake pushes Daniel down, creating a chaotic scene for the police.

Police Officer: "He's running! After him!"

The chase begins.

Detective Alfredo watches as the chaos unfolds, sensing something is amiss.

Detective Alfredo: (frustrated) "What the hell is going on?"

The group looks on as Jake disappears into the night, hoping against hope that he can escape the twisted fate closing in around him.