Prologue

[Prologue]

[Prologue]

During recess time, I decided to walk outside the school when I saw Cha Hyun-Su talking to another guy next to the vending machine. Hyunsu was holding out his hand, offering the guy some coins. "I don't know how much more you need, but here you go. No need to pay it back." he said with a smile.

The guy just looked at him and said, "Aren't you arrogant?"

Hyunsu looked confused and replied, "Huh?"

Suddenly, a ball sailed through the air, smashing into the vending machine and knocking the guy to the ground.

Without hesitation, Hyunsu shouted "Be careful! Watch out!"

"Are you ok?" One of the students playing soccer asked and then continue playing.

"Are you ok?" Hyunsu asked the fallen guy, holding out his hand to help him up.

⎯⎯

Cha Hyun-su was lying on the ground, I could see him being mercilessly beaten by a group of bullies, who were using a thick wooden stick to harm him. I shouted, "What the hell are you doing, you bastards?!" and tried to struggle free, but their grip on my arms was too strong, stopping me.

One of the bullies, named Do-Hun, explained, "I guess you don't know why I'm doing this to you. I promise I have a good reason for this."

Hyunsu looked at him with anger in his eyes and replied, "You scum."

"You look pretty angry. I guess you weren't beaten enough." Do-Hun calmly said

Do-Hun turn his head and call out to one of our classmates, "Hey four-eyes." Ju-Yeong turned his head to look at Do-Hun, and I could see that his body was shaking uncontrollably. Do-Hun walked up to where Ju-Yeong was sitting and placed the thick wooden stick on his table.

"It's your turn now." he said, as if threatening Ju-Yeong. Ju-Yeong continued to shake, and looked at Hyun-Su. "He looks..." His voice trailed off as he continued to shake and look at him.

"So? Were you close with him or what? All these guys used to be friends with him, too." Do-Hun said. He then pointed out the other boys he was talking about. "Don't do it if you don't want. I'm not forcing you."

"By the way," Do-Hun said, as he walked behind Ju-Yeong and bowed a little on his shoulder, "who were your friends again?"

Ju-Yeong reluctantly took the thick wooden stick and stood up still shaking.

"Don't do it, Ju-Yeong!!" I shouted. But it was too late as Ju-Yeong quickly raised the thick wooden stick and said, "I'm sorry.." before bringing it down on Hyunsu's body once again.

⎯⎯

At the rooftop, the bullies continued kicking and punching Cha Hyun-Su relentlessly, and I tried to stop them, but they pushed me hard. I tried to stand back up, but I was weak, and my eyes were started blurring. Yet I still managed to see the bullies continue to kick and punch Hyun-Su.

"Oh, he looks pathetic, doesn't he?" one of the bullies said.

Do-Hun then walked towards the heavily injured Hyun-Su, who was lying on the floor. "Why are you doing this to me?" Hyun-Su asked, his voice weak and pained.

"I'll tell you if you jump off." Do-Hun replied calmly.

⎯⎯

"From now on, I'll kill anyone who talks to Cha Hyun-Su." Do-Hun threatened us, but Hyun-Su was my best friend, and I didn't care if they killed me or what.

Today, I heard that they had bullied Hyun-Su in the men's bathroom again.

After Hyun-Su's father came to the school, the bullying stopped.

I walked with Hyun-Su on the sidewalk and noticed the bullies, along with Ju-Yeong. "I'll give you money for your mother's surgery. Okay? Just jump on the road when a car comes." we heard Do-Hun said. Ju-Yeong was about to jump off, but Hyun-Su grabbed Do-Hun shoulder and pushed him. The car almost hit him, but it stopped in time. The next day, Hyun-Su's father was fired, and Ju-Yeong came to Hyun-Su's house and blamed Hyun-Su for his mother's death.

***

It's been a few days, and lately, I've been having nosebleeds with no clear explanation. There's so much blood coming out that I don't know what to think. I don't feel any pain, but I can't help but feel nervous about it. this is not normal anymore.

I went to the doctor to see if anything was wrong with my sudden bleeding, but they said they couldn't find anything wrong and that it was normal. I'm not convinced, though. This is not normal, and I'm getting more and more worried by the minute.

⎯⎯

Months have passed, and my condition is getting worse and worse. Every time I look in the mirror, I can see a version of myself with a completely black eye smiling at me. It feels creepy, and it's as if the other version of me is talking to me, saying weird words. I've decided to just let it be, though.

Meanwhile, I moved out and didn't tell Hyun-Su about it due to all the problems he's been facing, as well as the recent passing of his family members in an accident. I figured it would be best to let him heal on his own for a while.

~~

VOTE &
COMMENT

THANK YOU FOR READING!♡