CHAPTER 3

[CHAPTER 3]

"Sir, what's wrong?" the little girl asked. Suddenly, a door fell on Hyun-Su. I quickly covered the kids in my arms as a giant monster tried to break through the wall. "Protein." the monster said, slamming the wall hard.

The little girl bent down to grab Hyun-Su's hand, and we did the same. "Wake up, Hyun-Su!" I shouted.

Soon, the monster came crashing in, reaching out its hand towards us. But Hyun-Su grabbed the monster's leg. "Go now." he said. I looked at him and noticed his eyes were completely black. It reminded me of something that had happened to me before. "Hurry!" he screamed, snapping me back to reality. I held onto the kids and rushed up the stairs.

"Su-Yeong, I'm scared. Is he dead?" the little boy asked, crying. I looked at the boy and said, "We have to go on our own. I'm sure he's okay, so don't worry, alright?" "But I'm scared." the little boy said. "You don't have to be scared. Noona is here, and I promise to protect both of you." I reassured them, gently caressing their cheeks and giving them a smile. The little boy then peed in his shorts. "It's okay. I won't tell anyone, and she won't either, alright?" his sister said, and I nodded. "Let's go." I said, holding their hands. We took a few steps, and suddenly, the door flew open, revealing the monster once again. Why does this monster keep appearing? Does this monster like me? Why do we always see each other? Oh, wait, I forgot. It can't see.

I placed my hand over their mouths to silence them. Once the monster was far enough away, we cautiously started to walk up. But then, we heard heavy footsteps behind us.

Su-Yeong yelled as the monster approached us. I quickly ducked with the kids, and an arm came through and pierced the monster's stomach. Two monsters were now fighting each other, giving us the perfect chance to get up and run.

"Noona? I thought we were going to room 1408? This is the 15th floor, though." the little boy asked me as I put my hand on his shoulder and bent down to his level.

"We can't go there now. The monsters are fighting there." I explained. "There might be some adults who can help us here." I said. I knocked on the rooms door and called out for help, but no one answered and the doors were also locked. Then we heard the giant monster. "Protein." it said and headed towards us. "Close your eyes." I said. I then placed the kids behind me. Just then, a woman came in with her stroller. "Please don't touch the children, okay?" she said. "You can do that, right?" she added. However, the monster kicked her into the wall. The woman was still alive and reached out from the stroller, calling out a name, "Da-eun." The monster stepped on the stroller, destroying it. "No!!" the lady screamed out loud. The woman got up and faced the monster. "Honestly, I knew that my baby was gone forever." she said. Then the monster punched the woman into the ground and continued to attack her.

We then saw Hyun-Su along with apartment 1510 and an unfamiliar man with a katana. "Let's go, kids!" I said, and we ran towards where Hyun-Su was. I hid the kids behind the four of us. "How do we kill that thing?" the unfamiliar man asked. Then, all of a sudden, the woman from earlier grabbed onto the monster. Apartment 1510 ran and hit the monster. "Take the kids and run!" she said. Then Hyun-Su held the kids' shoulders, and I was just looking at the scene, and was about to help them but Hyun-Su stopped me "Hey (Y/n). You're coming with us." he said, leaving me speechless then I nodded. We made a run to room 1408.

Once we got there, Han Du-Sik opened the door, and his weapon was pointed at us. Then, when he realized it was us, he slowly lowered his weapon. The look on Du-Sik's face seemed impressed. Yeah, all the work was done by Hyun-Su...

Then, a few minutes later, the door began to open. Hyun-Su and Du-Sik pointed their weapons at the door, and it turned out to be the lady from earlier. "Who are you?" Du-Sik asked. Then the woman looked at the kids, waved her hand, and gave them a smile. "She helped us earlier." I said.

⎯⎯

"All done." I said after cleaning the kids, and I gave them a smile. The kids amd I came to the dinner table and sat down on the floor. I saw Apartment 1510 take the food out of the oven. Du-Sik saw Hyun-Su and said, "Come over here and sit down." Hyun-Su nodded and sat down. "Let's all dig in." Du-Sik said as we started eating. "Kids, why don't you tell us your names?" Du-Sik looked at the kids and asked. "Kim Yeong-su." the little boy said. "I'm Kim Su-Yeong." the little girl said after. "Kim Yeong-su, Kim Su-yeong? Kim Yeong-su and Kim Su-yeong, those are almost the same. I guess, uh, your parents gave you those names so you would always stick together. Yeong-su, Su-yeong. Su-yeong-su, hmm?" Du-Sik said. "Um... Dad named us both." Su-yeong said, and there was a hint of sadness in her voice. "Dad..." Yeong-su started to tear up, and the woman comforted him and gave him a piece of her meal. "Thank you very much, ma'am." Yeong-su looked at the woman and thanked her.

Du-Sik then got something from behind him, and it was beer. He offered it to the man with the katana. "Oh, no, it's okay. I don't drink very often." the man rejected. Apartment 1510 took the beer instead and drank it straight. "You sure know how to drink, huh?" Du-Sik said and got another beer, offering it to Hyun-Su. "He doesn't drink, neither do I. We're both underage." I said and pushed the beer back to Du-Sik. "I see. There are kids. We shouldn't break the law in front of them. I'll buy you a drink when you're an adult. How does that sound?" Du-Sik said and drank the beer. "Do you think... I will be?" Hyun-Su said, which made everyone silent again.

That night, Apartment 1510 guarded the door, and it was Hyun-Su's turn, so she woke him up. "Hey, it's your turn." she said. "Huh?" Hyun-Su woke up. "It's your turn to guard the door." she said. "Oh." Hyun-Su realized and got up, taking his weapon. "I'm infected." Hyun-Su confessed. "I know." "If I turn, just kill me," Hyun-Su said. "Only if..." Apartment 1510 started. "Huh?" "You kill me if I turn. Then I will do the same thing for you, okay? Deal?" she continued. "Deal." Hyun-Su replied.

It was bright and early in the morning when music played on the speaker, followed by a voice saying, "Survivors, the first floor is safe now. Come to the first floor. We'll be safer together. We survivors must stick together. Please, come down. Come down here now. I said, please come down..." The mic then cut off. We only looked at each other in silence.

"Hey, you really can't trust that announcement. Are you gonna be okay?" Du-Sik asked.

"Don't worry about me, I'll be alright. We need to do something." Apartment 1510 said.

"Thank you for giving me this. May God bless you for all you've done for us." the man who had the Katana said.

"I like Buddha." Du-Sik said, and I let out a soft laugh. "We're gonna make sure to come back for you and get you all." Apartment 1510 said.

"Don't promise me anything you can't keep. I think... I should say my farewell to both of you now." Du-Sik said and waved his hand for goodbye. "You know, someone once said to me, even complete darkness disappears with the faintest light." she said. "Is that person alive?" Du-Sik asked. "I'm not sure." she said and chuckled. "So, uh... Can I go with the two of you?" Hyun-Su asked and grabbed his bag and weapon. "Can I too?" I asked and raised my hand, smiling at them. "I guess four is better than two, right?" Apartment 1510 asked the man with the katana. "Of course." he replied. "Okay then. Go. Go! All of you go." Du-Sik said, and he looked down. It looks like he doesn't want us to go. "Noona, you will come back, okay?" Yeong-su asked. I then looked at him, crouched down to the two kids, and caressed their cheeks. "Okay. I will make sure we'll meet again. Take care always, okay? Su-Yeong, take care of your brother, alright?" I said and smiled at them. "Thank you for saving us." Su-Yeong bowed, and I stood up, and we put our one earbud. "We'll be back." I said as we took our leave.

END OF CHAPTER 3

VOTE &
COMMENT

THANK YOU FOR READING!♡