Chapter 20- This Life

I awoke to a pounding on my door, and I swear even Freja groaned.

An older maid stepped in, looking at me with surprise.

"Oh princess, why do you have an animal on the bed? It should sleep in the stables, with the other, pets," she said distastefully, looking at my cat.

"No. She stays," I snapped, glaring at her.

"I meant no offence my lady. Your mother wishes you up and ready for visiting the Northuldra. I have a dress ready for you," she said, holding something up.

"Aren't we riding? Isn't a dress stupid for riding?" I asked, and she chuckled.

"You are a princess ma'am. It is appropriate that you are in a dress," she answered, and I paused, before nodding.

I got up, stretching.

She came over to my folding dressing room, before reaching out to take off my nightgown.

"I can dress myself," I said harshly, and she pulled back, looking almost hurt before backing up.

"I will wait till you are dressed to do your hair," she said, and I went behind the changing station.

"What's your name?" I asked, pulling on the purple dress.

At least this one wasn't all the way to the floor

"Aliya miss," she answered, and I came out.

I nodded, sitting at the vanity when she gestured.

"Have, have you always lived here?" I asked, knowing they wanted me to get to know the people better.

"Yes I have. Born and raised. I got to see the change in Arendelle when Elsa opened up the gates. How it changed things for us," she said, gently brushing my hair.

"How was it before?"

"Quiet. When the king and queen died, everyone mourned. But the princesses, they were hit so hard. They closed the gates to the palace. No one saw them for years. Until Elsa's coronation. I'm sure even you heard of the frozen terrain she left," Aliya said, and I nodded.

"Well. You are all done miss. Elsa requested no makeup at all today, and sent over a set of thicker tights to make riding more comfortable," she said, handing me a pair.

It was still strange to see my hair all white and tucked; I looked positively clean cut.

"Thank you," I said quietly as she was leaving the room, and she gave me a gentle nod.

Quickly pulling on the tights and the boots, I went out into the hallway, Freja at my heels.

Finding my way to the hall for breakfast took a minute, and everyone was already eating when I found it.

"Iduna, good for you to join us," Anna said happily.

I nodded, finding a seat and looking at the food.