Preview

"If this were a date," he began in that deep voice of his, that rattled her bones in the best possible way, "I would have brought flowers."

That's true. She had seen that in movies. She didn't think Pa ul had ever brought her flowers. Not in that way anyway. Sometimes he brought some flowers in from the garden that she tended and put them in a vase to freshen up the place. She knew he had done it for her because she liked it. Did that count?

In her heels, she still wasn't quite eye to eye with Carlos and she had to tilt her neck to look at him. Not that she was short, it's just that he was really quite tall. She liked height in a man, someone who could hold her and make her feel safe. Oh boy. Her thoughts were running away distracted again. She paid attention to the moment and noticed his annoyance was gone. It had been replaced with that amused look that irked her for unknown reasons.

"What kind?" she asked genuinely interested. What kind of flowers would a man like Carlos bring on a real date? Was he a standard red roses kind of guy, or would it be a mixed bouquet? The colour mattered almost as much as the choice of flower as they were all assigned different meanings. Would he care about something like that?

"Your favourite," he answered smoothly, confidently. "And I would know your favourite because I would have been prepared. Tell me your favourite flower, Michaela."

Oh boy. She hadn't expected that. And with his eyes on hers; dark, intense, glittering, she felt heat wash through her, leaving her feeling flustered. Good thing this wasn't a date because she didn't know how she'd survive if it were. As it was her heart rate was through the roof.

"I like wildflowers," she mumbled in response to his command. "They're bright and remind me of meadows and fields and happiness. Of childhood," she added.

Copyright © 2023 by Evie Kynd

All rights reserved.

The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this production are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred.

COVER DESIGN: "user18526052 - Indoor shot of slim woman with dark hair posing backwards, keeping hand on hips, looking at window, wearing white cotton shirt standing near beige curtains" This cover has been designed using assets from Freepik.com.