Eleven

Carlos thought she was adorable when she dug herself into a hole like this. It made him want to touch her, kiss her, drag her over his shoulder, and steal her away, but they were being watched so he restrained himself. He settled for pulling her chin up, using his thumb and index finger, wanting to hold her eyes to his.

Last night when his self-control had deserted him momentarily, he let his anger burn at the thought of Michaela going home with another man. He managed to catch himself before he said, or worse did something, that would cause irreparable harm, but it had left him with a dull ache in his chest that had him wanting until he'd finally acknowledged his desire for her. And now that he had acknowledged that desire, he intended to act upon it. He was a man who was used to getting what he wanted, and he doubted she could resist him once he made his intentions known.

His team building slash holiday idea had been inspired and Lawrence and Jenny were more than happy to help him bring the idea to life. He wanted to believe they were only excited about the opportunity for a family holiday, but he suspected they knew of his ulterior motive. He considered it their kindness when they slid sly smiles between each other rather than call him out on it.

Michaela was different. Sincere. And he liked the interesting paths her honest ramblings carried them down. He wasn't worried about her 'rules' around dating. It was a sensible rule, but he wasn't going to let her use it to distance herself from him.

"I'd say Dan is right. Plan A is rather defunct now. At least for the first week." He was rewarded with a forgiving smile, and the tension softened out of her body. A little humour was all it took to make her world right again.

"I'm working on Plan B."

Beautiful, sincere, and mischievous. He couldn't think of a more dangerous combination in a woman. "Maybe I can help? I'm good at planning."

Before he could tease her further, Lawrence's mini-person launched himself into Michaela's arms. If Carlos hadn't been standing close enough to catch her, the momentum would have carried her to the ground. And if he wasn't so grateful to feel her in his arms again, he might have had a stern word with his nephew about jumping up on people unexpectedly.

"Are you coming to Uncle Carlos' home for the BBQ afterward?" Tyler asked her innocently.

Carlos had been planning on asking her himself, but he was glad his nephew beat him to it. She was more likely to say yes to Tyler than him. Or more likely unable to refuse him.

He saw her hesitation at the invitation and then he watched it dawn on her that she was in his arms, and he didn't have the will to suppress his chuckle. She wriggled almost as fiercely as his nephew when he had been caught and tried to get away, so taking pity on her, he helped her steady herself and took Tyler from her arms.

"You can watch my cool moves on the trampoline."

He almost felt pity for Michaela who was struggling to find the words to refuse.

Then his pleading eyes turned to him. "Tell her to come home with us."

***********************************************************************************************

"You are of course welcome to join us, Michaela. It might be a good opportunity for us to work on Plan B," he said, finishing with a cough.

Michaela raised an eyebrow at him. That cough did not disguise his chuckle and even if it had, he hadn't bothered to hide the amusement in his eyes.

"I wish I could Tyler, but if I go, I'll miss my ride home." She pointed at Dan to let him know that she was travelling with him.

"Is he your boyfriend?"