Nineteen

Carlos waited impatiently for the second time that day. Michaela had gotten under his skin. He'd finally found someone he could be real with like Lawrence had with Jenny, only she was too damn stubborn to accept him.

He listened as quiet, shoeless footsteps approached, and he sat up higher in his chair. He caught sight of the blonde hair first and frowned, disappointed as Sonja appeared with a wide smile.

He wanted to spend more time with Michaela. He wanted her to himself, and the opportunity to get to know more about her. A sudden picture of her begging him for release appeared in his mind and he almost groaned out loud. God, how he wanted her.

"Here you go, Carlos." He let his displeasure show at the informal address and noticed the unhappy crinkles forming in the corner of her eyes. "I mean, Mr Everton," she corrected. "Is there anything else I can get you?"

"No thank you, Ms Cranston." His crisp words indicated a dismissal, but she continued to hover nearby.

"Was there something else, Ms Cranston?"

"Of course not, Mr Everton. I was just taking a moment to breathe in the fresh air and watch the stars before I headed down to look at the water. Did you hear about the bioluminescence?"

"Yes, I did." This time he hesitated, and he knew she noticed because she paused, waiting expectantly. She was observant. It was what made her so good in her role.

"Do you know what happened to Ms Queen? I expected her to bring me my drink."

"I wasn't aware there was an expectation for Michaela to serve you. When I offered to assist, she didn't say anything. I think she may have gone looking for the boys. Would you like me to radio her?"

"No. That won't be necessary." Inside Carlos was seething. He drank his mochaccino slowly, waiting for the jealousy to burn itself out before he went to bed.

Twilight had set in, and the noise from the crew jumping into the waters had faded. Even in silence, he found no peace.

When he heard the quiet footfalls of an uninvited intruder, he was quick to anger. He did not want company that would interfere with his brooding. He stared at the top of the stairs, a look of warning to whoever dared to disturb his peace. He recognised Michaela's brunette hair a moment before he saw her with two hot drinks in her hand. He suppressed the smile that came automatically and tried to remain neutral. Aloof.

"Why are you here, Michaela?" he said taking the hot drink from her. What he really wanted to know was why she hadn't appeared earlier.

She sat down in a huff, and her grumpy look intrigued him enough that he cracked a smile. He wasn't the type of man who had to wait for anything, who had to chase for anything. He wasn't the type of man who had to want for anything. He had spent the better part of the night thinking bad thoughts about this woman. Now, he didn't even require a word before he was ready to forgive. He would think on that later he decided, but for right now, he wanted to be present with her.

"Because I'm an idiot," she mumbled unhappily.

"Keep going."

Michaela glared at him. She obviously didn't want to talk about it. Too bad. He took a sip of his drink and stared at her over the cup.

"It's just hot cocoa this time. I thought it was too late to add coffee."

He continued to wait patiently. It was the best tool in a businessman's arsenal.

"I had every intention of bringing up your drink earlier, but I got caught."

"Caught?" That word took him by surprise.