Twenty-Six

"You're welcome," Jenny said giggling in the background.

He had been slightly annoyed to find out Jenny had kidnapped Michaela for the afternoon. He'd expected her to be rested when he came calling on her, hoping she'd agree to a date with him tonight. But now...he really would have to thank his sister-in-law. He was feeling generous, maybe he'd buy her a jet so she could start an in-flight luxury cuisine service.

"It's almost as if you knew I wanted to ask you to join me tonight." He briefly flicked his eyes at Jenny and then realised he hadn't even given Michaela her flowers. "These are for you," he said holding them out awkwardly.

'If this were a date, I would have brought you flowers.'

She took them with shaking hands. He was the first man to bring her flowers. He could tell she was reluctant to release them into Jenny's hands. With his free hand, he found himself twirling a loose strand of her dark hair in his fingers before tucking it behind her ear.

'And if it were a date, I might find some innocent reason to touch you – like tucking a stray hair behind your ear.'

She was breathing heavy, which drew his eyes to her almost-naked chest as it rose and fell. Red was his new favourite colour. He leaned into her, his lips gently caressing her own in the lightest of touches.

'I might kiss you in greeting.'

He was finding it harder and harder to remember he was trying to offer her romance as she responded. He felt a flash of pain and had to stifle a groan knowing she thought her response to him was because of his experience with women.

The way her hands fluttered down her sides in nervousness, was an eye-opener for him. He was used to confident, bold women, who flirted with him openly. He thought he preferred that, but Michaela's inexperience and naivety pulled at him in ways he had never felt before.

"Ready?" he asked, clearing his throat. She wasn't moving. Her eyes had drifted down his chest and it made him chuckle. At least he wasn't the only one affected. "Come on," he said tugging her arm gently to encourage her to move. He released her hand reluctantly when they reached the stairs, allowing her to go first.

He skimmed his fingers along the outline of her hips before settling possessively over her waist as he led her up to the top deck. He heard her relief when they didn't pass any of the crew members on their way, which he knew was by design. On the deck they were greeted by fairy lights, just starting to come to life in the fading light. Michaela's eyes sparkled and even he had to admit Dan had come through for him, and he'd known what to expect.

He studied Michaela as she took in the bean bag, the junk food, and the projector screen that would play Lake Placid. He could afford the very best and he wanted to give her the very best, so when Dan had suggested this, he'd been secretly worried he was setting him up for failure. The look of surprised delight was clear though, and he could finally release a sigh of relief.

Embracing everything, he pulled her down onto the bean bag with him. Feeling playful he held her between his legs as he wriggled into the bean bag to find the most comfortable position.

He wrapped his arms around her protectively and inhaled the softest, floral scent that mingled with her own. It was intoxicating and, in this position, he had perfect access to her long, graceful neck so he didn't even try to resist placing kisses there.

"My original idea was to have a romantic candlelit dinner for two on the beach, under the stars, with a meal cooked by the fancy chef we have on the yacht. I'm not sure how I ended up in a bean bag, with junk food and watching – this," he said with a grimace as he gestured towards the screen that now played Lake Placid.