Eight

Michaela stiffened but didn't turn to face Carlos. She could tell from the heat of her body that he stood just a little too close to her and she knew that Dan thought so too when he looked at her questioningly before turning to face his new boss.

"Mr Everton, it's good to see you again," Dan responded politely.

"Mr Everton, this is my brother's annoying best friend, Dan. I was –"

"My best friend's hot sister," Dan added unhelpfully with a smile directed at Carlos.

"I was going to say that I was your boss." She added quickly, giving Dan a look of disbelief, barely containing the urge she had to step on his foot. "Mr Everton hired me this morning and offered to give me a lift." Offered wasn't quite the right word, but she thought it was the best word to get through this moment.

Why did she have to feel so awkward every time Carlos was near her? Then she thought of the kiss and all the things she didn't understand about the kiss. Obviously, it was going to be awkward.

"I didn't have a uniform," she said acknowledging her dress and feeling more than a little self-conscious about it. Especially with thoughts of that shared kiss now swirling in her head.

"Wait, you're the other deckhand?"

Michaela answered yes even though Dan was looking at Carlos with incredulity.

"Do you have a problem with that?" Carlos asked with a bite to his voice.

"Having worked with her for years, I know that her skills are wasted as a deckhand."

"Dan," she said, her arm drifting out to his in reassurance. "It's the role I applied for." Dan opened his mouth as if to speak and then closed it again. She could see his mind processing the information.

"You only applied for the deckhand role because I told you I had applied for the Bosun role," he hissed through his teeth angrily.

Michaela deflected. "Have you met everyone?" she asked with a bright smile. "Let me introduce you to Carter, your other deckhand," she said gesturing to Carter who had started to mingle with the few guests that had arrived.

Michaela was grateful when he allowed her to lead him away. She could see his mind ticking over already and knew he was going to bring this up again. He and Luke took overprotective to the next level, and she didn't need it.

Michaela introduced Dan to Carter and made a quick exit by lifting the platter from Carter's hands and working her way around the room to the main entrance so she could greet the guests just entering the room.

Michaela introduced herself to a glamorous couple just arriving and offered them the h'ordeuvres from the platter she was carrying.

"I love your dress," the woman said.

Michaela blushed embarrassed and bit the corner of her lower lip out of nervousness as she accepted the compliment. It took all her strength to pull back from explaining the 'misunderstanding' that led to her outfit.

"Would you like something to drink? Wine or champagne?" Dan asked smoothly, shadowing her.

Michaela had thought Dan might be forced to engage with others eventually, but she had been wrong. It didn't matter if she was serving food or drinks, answering questions, or showing the guests around, he was always there.

It didn't escape her notice that Dan crowded her even more when Sonja was around. She suspected it was because Sonja's smile didn't look kind or warm towards her. That made her sigh too. She did not need to be molly-coddled like a helpless infant and she told him as much when the opportunity presented itself. His only response was to smile at her with that cocky grin of his. He was just as infuriating as Luke when he got stubborn.