Twelve

Tyler had his face pressed against her car door as soon as they came to a stop. She smiled brightly, but inside she felt small and confused. She knew she had a crush on Carlos before she applied for the job. That wasn't the reason why she applied for the job. And she honestly hadn't thought she would see him again beyond the interview.

Tyler took her to a side entrance of Carlos' home. She didn't have much time to look around as he was taking her someplace specific. It was made up of single-story pods that formed a square with a courtyard in the centre. The exterior was made from a rough and natural kind of wood that gave it a rustic, cabin-in-the-wood feel. These grey stones also had threads of blue in them that reminded her of Carlos' eyes. She sighed; she didn't want to think about how beautiful they were and how easily she could get lost in them.

She fell in love with the tunnels of wood and glass that connected the pods. The pods themselves looked to be self-contained. At least the one she was in now was. She marveled at how the smaller spaces gave it a light, homely feel.

"We're here," Tyler proudly exclaimed.

She peeked into the opened door with caution. It wasn't as if she expected to see Carlos in the room, and yet some foolish part of her hoped. The room had a space theme, where two of the walls were painted in a dark midnight blue. The moon almost glowed amongst the stars painted on the darkened walls, while an astronaut that bore a striking resemblance to Tyler looked out the window of a rocket.

"You have a room here." The question was rhetorical and spoken mostly out of surprise.

His bunk bed was shaped like a rocket and in the centre of the room, a space-themed mobile hung down like a chandelier. It was massive and commanded attention.

And there in a corner of the room was a rocker that looked suspiciously like the ones at the vineyard that she had admired, only it was the perfect size for Tyler. She listened to him talk as she went over to take a closer look at it. It had the same puzzle-fitted joinery, so it was probably made by the same company.

"Uncle Carlos' room is just next door. He said when I'm older I can choose a room in one of the other wings, but for now, he likes to know that I'm close. I like to spend time with Uncle Carlos in the shed, and he takes me for long walks along the vines. He likes having me around because he says I make things interesting."

Michaela's heart stirred with warmth at the thought of Carlos spending so much time with his nephew. He was a family man. Good with kids. Exposure to him was only adding more reasons to fuel her already runaway fantasies.

"There you are."

She heard Carlos' voice in her bones, and she ducked her head feeling like she had just been caught doing something she shouldn't.

"It may be easier to steal that chair, and it would hold your weight, but if I were you, I'd still aim for the adult set. Tyler," he called over to the young man who was chatting away as if he still had Michaela to himself, "lunch is ready."

"I'm full. I want to show Michaela my cool moves next," he declared.

Carlos gave him a look and the young boy hung his head as he left the room without waiting for them. She wondered if anyone stood up to him when he used that look. She wondered if anyone stood up to him full stop. Aside from his domineering aura of authority, he had a god-like beauty that women at least would want to please.

Michaela pulled her thoughts back before she got carried away and went to follow Tyler, but Carlos' arm blocked her path.

"Is there anything you want to talk about?"