4- qualifying

Holly's pov:

The last few weeks before pre season testing happened in a blur and before I knew it I was flying out to Bahrain.

Pre season testing went incredibly well for me but Kevin was still getting to grips with the car.

I'd just completed my first free practice session in f1 and tomorrow would be my first ever qualifying and I had a lot to prove. The car felt so comfortable as if I had complete control. Everything was looking up for me.

The next morning dawned bright and I awoke with the sun streaming in through the windows. I rolled out of bed, got dressed and got myself an apple.

I arrived at the paddock to a mob of fans and paparazzi surrounding it.

"HOLLY CAN YOU SIGN ME HAT?"

"GOOD LUCK HOLLY!"

They shouted over to me and as I had arrived early I decided to go and take some pictures and give a few autographs. I ended up getting so many bracelets that there wasn't enough room on my wrist for them all. I liked seeing fans though. It gave me confidence to see all these people cheering for me. I squeezed my way past the last of them and went over to the haas complex.

Guenther approached me as I shut the door. "Good luck today, remember to stay calm and of course drive fast." He said.

"Thanks, I'll try my best!" I replied. The nerves were starting to build now but I tried to shut them out. I went over to the small coffee machine and got myself an ice latte. I didn't like warm coffee. After what felt like seconds I found myself walking into the garage.

Trying to block out any negative thoughts I slipped on my helmet and climbed into the car.

"Radio check Holly" the voice of my race engineer sounded in my ear.

"Yep all good" I responded not really concentrating. My mind was already on track.

"Ok and you're free to go out on track now" he said a few moments later.

I pulled out the garage and the pit lane, ready to begin my out lap. Then it was time...

I slammed my foot down on the peddle and pushed with all my strength. All my thoughts melted away but my senses were heightened to 1000%. I zoomed round the track weaving around corners.

"Well done that's p9 Holly!"

I smiled to myself inside my helmet. I'd made it past q1!

I got p6 in q2 but I got held up by some traffic from other cars.

Finally it was time for q3. I needed to do well. I had to prove myself. I pushed harder than I'd ever pushed in a car before. I knew I was going faster than a few others but I didn't yet know my position. Another corner perfectly executed. The finish line loomed closer. I willed myself to go faster and then it was over. I zoomed over the line waiting to hear my position.

"So that would be p2 but Max has received a penalty so for your first ever formula one race you'll be starting on pole position!!!!"

It took a second for me to process the information. Then finally dawned on me what I'd just done.

"YESSSSS! HOLY SHIT I JUST DID THAT!" I screamed. I couldn't believe it and nor it seemed could anyone else. Once I'd stopped my car I ran over to my team to receive a humongous cheer. I still didn't feel real to me.

Hundreds of people were shouting and whooping. My name echoed through the grand stands. Before I could celebrate I had to do a small post race interview.

"What an incredible first qualifying. Pole position what does that mean to you?" Asked the interviewer.

"Oh my god it means the absolute world! It's literally a dream come true. It hasn't really even sunk in yet!" I said beaming.

"Well congratulations and go celebrate!" The interview responded.

I headed back over to the garage where my brother was waiting to congratulate me. " POLE POSITION HOLLY?! THAT WAS UNBELIEVABLE WELL DONE!" George shouted.

I thanked him, and congratulated him on his p4. All I needed to do now was win tomorrow.