5- race day

Holly's pov:

Here it was, the day I'd been preparing for my entire life. My first ever f1 race. My heart was beating out of my chest as the rest of the haas team busied themselves around me. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked up to see Kevin.

"Good luck today Holly, and remember stay calm, you're in a good position so don't waste it." He said

I liked Kevin. He'd been so lovely and we'd had some good laughs together already.

"Thanks Kevin!" I replied with a smile.

The time ticked by until eventually I was sitting on the track ready to start, my mechanics surrounding the car. Don't mess it up, you can do this!

My mind was already playing the circuit through. I was already planning how I would take each corner and how I could hold my position.

Before I knew what was happening the track cleared until just the 20 cars were left. The green flag was being waved behind us. 3...2...1... the race had begun.

"And it's lights out and away we go. That's a great reaction there from Holly Russell but was it enough to stop Leclerc getting past her?"

Charles was inches away from me as I zoomed round the first corner. The next corner I managed to get down the inside and I kept hold of my position. As the laps went on I slipped down to second but Lando had climbed up and was now behind me.

There were 12 laps to go and he was getting closer every minute. He reached the back of me and waited for his chance to overtake. I was desperately trying to hold onto my position. He was coming nearer and nearer before seizing the opportunity to get past.

Before I knew what was happening I felt a large jolt as our cars made contact. The world around me was spinning but I could see that the barrier was coming closer and closer. I smashed into it almost destroying my car. Then it all went black.

-

I opened my eyes realising I must have blacked out for a second. My engineer was asking if I was ok through the radio.

"Yep I'm fine" I said with a sigh as I got out the car. My first ever race in formula one I wouldn't even get to finish and it was all Lando's fault. Anger was bubbling up inside of me but I couldn't let it show, not with all the media around. When I got back into the haas garage I didn't take my helmet off until I was back in my driver room. I didn't even want to watch the end of the race. I just wanted to sit by myself and think.