8 • A small look into the past

Just incase there might be any confusion for those that haven't read the prologue, I really recommend that you do since things will make more sense if you do.
___________________________________________

《Y/n L/n pov》

After a long walk through the woods, we were now at the front gates of the orphanage.

It's just as big I remember.

What was past these gates was thirty acres of land. The orphanage itself took up about five acres of land. The remaining twenty-five was just land we never really got to use. If we were allowed outside then we had to stay inside the fence that was around thirty feet from the orphanage.

Despite that, some of the kids didn't listen and would sneak off to the gates. Some even left the whole place to go explore the woods. Oddly enough, it was always those kids that got adopted soon after. Them and the older ones.

There was also a time when someone from outside snuck in. She was the same age as I was back then, I think.

"This place has a lot of space." Nico comments, walking past the front gate.

"O-Oh, yeah. Though we never got to use much of it." I replied.

"Why's that?" He questioned with a raised brow.

"I don't know. I never asked."

I had the others, so I didn't really need much else.

"I see. Anything I should know about the inside? Before it was burned down."

Anything about the inside?

"Well, just the usual, I believe. We had our bedrooms, cafeteria, classrooms, counseling, playroom, library-"

"You guys had a lot. Noted." Nico cut me off.

"Y-Yeah, I guess."

We talked more as we walked. Though it was about normal stuff this time. Things like my favorite color, favorite food, where I would want to visit if I could travel the world. Things I didn't really give much thought to, but I still tried to answer as best I could.

Favorite color? First thing that came to mind was orange, since that's Amber's hair color.

Favorite food? Anything Amber made.

Places I would want to visit? Amber always talked about going to Paris with me in the future.

"...I'll make you the best dish I can after we finish up here." Nico stated.

"O-Oh, you don't-"

"I want to." Nico interrupted.

"...Okay."

Nico has been acting weird today. Did something happen?

"Here we are." Nico stated.

There were some walls still standing, but everything else was destroyed.

This... this was all that's left of the place that I grew up in for majority of my life.

"Looks like we'll have to search through the remains." Nico said.

"Yeah..."

We began our search of the burned down orphanage.

At the entrance, we came across charred wood and more charred wood.

In the library, just a few books survived, but they were in terrible condition.

In the cafeteria, there was a cooler with definitely spoiled food inside of it.