extra chapter: Nico

As an apology, I'm giving you lore in the form of an extra chapter that focuses on Nico.
___________________________________________

3 years before the start of the story.

《Nico Strix》

I was eating an apple and reading a novel in the kitchen when I heard a knock from our front door. I ignored it, thinking my father or sister would answer it.

KNOCK KNOCK

There were more knocks that I only ignored.

BANG BANG

Huh. Banging now? Are they trying to break the door?

I sighed and set both my apple and novel down. I stood up and started walking to the door. However, before I could even leave the kitchen, there were soft knocks coming from behind me. I paused.

Taking a deep breath, I turn around and see her on the other side of our sliding glass door. My body tenses when we make eye contact.

How did she get there so fast? No, nevermind that, WHY is she even here?!

She tapped her fingernails on the glass door. I don't know why, but it looks like she wants to talk.

With a deep breath, I walk to the glass door and open it. I was greeted with an annoyed huff.

"What took you so long?"

I stayed silent and stared at the ground, my eyes wondering around the floor.

She rolled her eyes in response to my silence.

"Well? Going to treat your guest?"

Hesitantly, I let her in. My shoulders slumped as she walked by me.

Her eyes scanned the kitchen and what she could see of the living room. She let out a satisfied hum and turned to me.

"Hasn't changed a bit."

"....Yeah, my father never liked change."

"I can understand that. Honestly, why can't things just stay the way they are forever?"

"...I can't really understand it. There are a few things I'd like to change."

"Oh yeah, I bet there are; with your whole 'it should have been me' attitude and all." She giggled.

I grit my teeth.

"..Shut up." I muttered.

"Hm? What was that?"

"I said to shut the fuck up!"

She flinched and actually looked surprised by my outburst.

"Now that's a change." She quickly regained her amused demeanor. "You've never stood up to me before." Her demeanor and tone quickly changed again though. "I don't like that change."

"Well that's too damn bad. I'm not scared of you anymore, not since you ghosted me and my sister two years ago."

"What, you get abandonment issues on top of your survivors guilt? Jeez, it sucks to be you."

I snapped at that.

"Why are you even here, you bitc-?!"

I was cut off as she shoved me outside. I fell on the grass.

"My dad has been pretty annoyed I haven't sparred with an 'equal' in the past two years. He somehow thinks you can measure up to me, so I thought I'd take this chance to prove just how far apart we are."

I got up and felt myself glaring at her.

"I haven't been doing nothing for the past two years."

"Yeah yeah. I know you're sad little backstory. You want to be strong enough to protect your sister, right? Unfortunately, looking at you, you failed to meet that goal."

"Oh yeah? Why don't I prove to you how much I've-"

She suddenly lundged at me, her nails aiming to take my eyes. I barely avoided it by tilting me head to the side.

I retaliate by kicking her stomach to push her away and make some distance.

I felt something drip down from my cheek. I rubbed my cheek and saw blood

"Cheap."

She shrugged.

This time, she just walked up to me. When she reached about an arms distance she began throwing a few basic attacks. The power behind them wasn't worrying, but she was picking up speed. It was becoming harder to block her attacks. Right as I was about to launch an attack of my own, I notice the movement of her foot. She suddenly kicked her leg up, appearing to aim for my chin. I tilt my head back to avoid it and she immediately follows up by kicking her other foot up and spinning; her foot successfully connects with my face.

She smiled.... Fuck.

Although disoriented, I grab her leg. I had planned to slam her into the ground, but she pulled herself foward and grabbed my arm with both hands. I heard a crack and my grip on her leg loosened. In the next moment, she was out of sight and I felt two hands gently placed on my shoulders.

What-?

I notice her too late as she suddenly appears in my vision and slams her knees into my chest.

I fall back, wheezing.

She stood over me, laughing to herself. She then bent down and grabbed my shirt, pulling my up a bit.

"Well?" She struck my face. "What were you going to prove?" She slammed her fist into my face again. "Huh?" Again. "Why are you so quiet now?" Again. "Say something, dipshit." Again.

Again and again and again and again. My vision eventually turned red from the blood.

"How the fuck are we equals?" Again. "All you have over me is strength." Again. "I'm superior to you and every other aspect." She stopped and sighed. "God this was sad."

She lifted her fist up again, and next thing I new everything went dark.
.
.
.
.
.

My eyes slowly open as the cold air hits my body.

"...I lost. Miserably too."

I sat up and clenched my fist.

"Goddamn bitch."

I sat in silence for a while before standing up.

"I should probably try and make myself look decent before my sister sees me like this."

I walk to the glass door and slide it open. Before entering, I look back in the direction of her house and mutter, "Fuck you, Amber."