(3) Winter's Gift

It's been a long six months of Lucy navigating the challenges of pregnancy.

Lucy Gray never thought pregnancy would be so hard.

She's eating so much, doubling the workload as she had to catch more fish than before. 

Her feet are always swelling, and she's tired all day.

Her anxiety has been skyrocketing because she doesn't even know how to take care of an infant.

It's not like there's a book she could just read; all the books left there were romantic novels.

All she could do was go with the flow.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

It was a snowy day when Lucy Grays water broke "Oh my god"

She quickly got onto the bed but panic set in.

Gripping the sheets, trying to stay anchored as the world around her blurred, the pain hit like nothing she'd ever known.

Sweaty, crying, a mix of fear and excitement overwhelmed her.

Yet, in the midst of it all, there was this strange strength she didn't know she had.

Her heart raced, each beat signaling a step closer to meeting someone new. Every second felt like an hour.

Finally, in a culmination of effort and emotion, the small cries of a newborn pierced the air, marking the arrival of a new chapter in Lucy's life.

Lucy Gray cradled the baby to her chest, tears streaming down her face as she greeted her newborn.

"Hi, baby," she whispered with a beaming grin.

The little one had bright blonde hair, almost like pure white, a reminder of a memory she wished to forget.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Two months after, Lucy Gray is raising her daughter alone and steadily.

She's new to this but is trying her best.

In the middle of feeding her baby, she realizes she hasn't named her yet!

Gently rocking her infant in her arms, Lucy Gray contemplates a name.

"Hmmm, what should I call you? Oh, I know—'Lumi,' beauty in snow."

Lucy Gray is determined not to let Coriolanus tarnish the beauty of winter for her.

Her baby, with hair as bright as snow, is a small, radiant light—a child born from the purity of snow.

Remembering the tradition of the Covey, who finish their names with a color like Gray and Ivory in Maude.. oh her dear cousin Maude ivory how she missed her.

Lucy Gray decides on "Lumi Iris Baird."

As Lucy touches noses with baby Lumi, she giggles, and Lucy Gray laughs.

"If he knew of you, you would be his, or the Capitol's. But here, Lumi, you're mine." Lucy Gray didn't know she could ever feel this happy.

Baby Lumi started to cry.

"Baby, what's wrong? Was it a nightmare? Mommy gets those too, but eventually, they get better,"

Lucy Gray tried to comfort her, gently caressing the head that had grown so much hair in such a short time.

However, nothing seemed to help.

"When Maude Ivory got nightmares, I'd sing her a song," Lucy Gray whispered, attempting to find a soothing melody for her baby.

Deep in the meadow, under the willow.
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow.
Lay down your head, and close your eyes.
And when they open, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe, and here it's warm.
Here the daisies guard you from every harm.
Here your dreams are sweet, and tomorrow brings them true.
Here is the place where I love you.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away.
A cloak of green, a moon beam ray.
Forget your woes, and let your troubles lay.
And when again it's morning, they'll wash away.

Here it's safe, and here it's warm.
Here the daisies guard you from every harm.
Hre your dreams are sweet, and tomorrow brings them true.
Here is the place where I love you.

It seemed like it did just the trick because baby Lumi went straight to sleep.

Lucy Gray laughed, "Well, I'm happy you enjoy it too."

With a contented sigh, Lucy Gray continued to softly hum the comforting tune. Baby Lumi slept peacefully, cradled in the warmth of her mother's love.