(5) Familiar Doors

Lucy Gray packed up all they needed – clothes, food, and her herb book.

She made sure there was no trace they ever lived in the cabin, erasing every mark that showed Lumi's growth on the wall.

Lucy Gray burned the remaining books and threw everything else into the lake.

Even the pretty yellow flowers that Lumi used to collect had to go.

It hurt to erase their life together, but it was needed to keep Lumi safe.

Lucy couldn't risk anyone finding out they ever lived outside of the district's; it could mean trouble, maybe even getting caught or even worse hung, and that's something she couldn't risk for both her and Lumi.

Before leaving, Lucy Gray noticed that Lumi's distinctive hair might attract attention. So, she found an old skirt and wrapped it around Lumi's head like a scarf, trying to make it less noticeable.

Lucy Gray took one last glance back and then focused ahead, never looking back again.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Helping Lumi walk was tough, especially with the bag. After a few hours of walking, it got even harder.

They walked quietly through the familiar path, every rustle of leaves a reminder of the memories they were leaving behind.

Lumi, despite her weakness, kept talking about the flowers and butterflies she hoped to see in their new home.

"Well..., in District 12, them flowers and butterflies might be a bit different, but we'll find the charm in our own way, sweetheart."

When Lucy Gray and Lumi arrived at District 12, they found it fenced off. Lucy Gray stared at the barrier, a mix of determination and worry in her eyes.

"Well, sugar, looks like we need to find a way in. Don't you worry; your Ma's got it covered."

She took Lumi's hand, and together they started searching for a way to get through the fence.

After a bit of careful maneuvering, Lucy Gray managed to create a small opening.

"There we go, darlin'. Just like sneakin' into the best-hidden spots in the woods," she whispered, smiling at Lumi.

Holding hands, they walked deeper into District 12, ready to face the challenges of their new life.

"Ma, it's hot, and this scarf makes me feel all stuffy. Can I take it off for a bit, please?"

"Honey, keep that scarf on tight, and stay close. We're like ghost here – quiet and unseen. Ma's got you"

After a good bit of walking, they made it to Lucy Gray's old home where she lived with the Covey. Memories started flowing back, filling Lucy Gray's mind.

Lucy Gray walked up to the familiar door, took a deep breath, and knocked. After a moment, the door creaked open, revealing her cousin, Maude Ivory.