Chapter 13: The Gregarious Leon Brady

Anarch's presence is prominent in my mind. The demon's name is stuck in my head as I do everything but pour the coffee directly down my throat.

I wake up late enough that it is socially acceptable to stay awake for the remainder of the day, but not late enough to constitute getting a good night's sleep. The good news is that I find an entry for the demon in my Book of Shadows.

Aria was right. Anarch is a big shot. He is a high-ranking demon known for feeding on fear of others, like Aria said. He was banished to the demonic realm where a witch 'fed' him innocents.

He hunts them, scares them, and sustains himself with their fear.

A never-ending smörgåsbord of fear and despair.

The book is scarce on details on how to overcome him, other than mentioning his realm as one without hope. It begs the question of what hope would do to the demon of fear.

My research is interrupted promptly at seven when my cell phone rings on the end table. Dean Jaffee's boisterous voice greets me as I answer the phone. He informs me that he was very impressed with my knowledge of the occult. He continues that he will be sending a formal offer for the position through e-mail.

He agrees to wait as I mute the phone. I scream into the air and Sierra shows up at my door.

I promise her it was a good thing.

As I continue my conversation with Dean Jaffe, I think him for the opportunity. Sierra squeals at the doorway before backing out of the room.

Dean Jaffe states that because the semester has already started, he wants to put together an introductory demonstration as a pilot for the course. We will be offering the demonstration mid-semester.

Due to my inexperience, he also wants me to meet often with a mentor. He has enlisted a fellow professor, Leon Brady, to mentor me and help the perfunctory planning of the event.

I promise to meet with Leon later today. He is thrilled and tells me he will get the offer letter over to me as soon as possible before ending the call.

I rush downstairs and find Eric and Sierra waiting. The two are overjoyed for me. Eric volunteers to buy us dinner in celebration. They are disappointed when I tell them I have to meet with Leon.

After dressing in what equates to business casual (a pair of black and white checkered pants and a black sweater), I head to campus. Pam greets me again and gives me directions to Leon's office.

Pam lets me know that he is between classes at the moment. Her directions are spot-on. I find his office in the Fine Arts building at the end of the hallway.

His door is wide open. A name plate on his door informs me he has a doctorate. I gently knock on the door frame and a thin man with circular glasses looks up from what I can only describe as a tome.

I introduce myself to him as he stammers out his name.  After a brief handshake, he smooths a piece of his auburn hair back into place as he clumsily sits on the edge of his desk.

He is wearing an old school suit, not tailored like most others in his position. It takes a few seconds for me to clock his accent as British.

"The dean said you would be reaching out this morning. I expected a call."

I chuckle. "In polite societies, I guess that is what is done. I'm just a little overzealous."

"No! I didn't mean that you were not welcomed to drop by. My door, of course, is always open for my fellow professors and students, alike."

"Thanks. That's comforting. So, how long have you been a professor?"

"Three years. It's been quite a journey. I am a professor of Mythology. Well, my doctorate is medicine, but my passion is for mythology."

"You're a doctor, too? You graduated when you were, like, twelve, didn't you?"

"How did you know?"

"Professorial guess. Now that I am a professor, I can feel the power of academia surging through me. I'm a real light bulb of knowledge."

"Light bulb...of knowledge? What an interesting phrase."

There are moments, just moments, where I realize how strange I sound to others. This is one of those moments. A brainy doctor is regarding me with such morbid fascination that it makes me feel stupid.

"I'm afraid my knowledge of the occult, as it were, is limited. I'm not sure how much help I will be with the actual subject matter at hand. I should be able to help with the framework of the course." Leon says.

"I'll take what I can get. And thank you in advance. It means a lot."

"Quite. It is a quid pro quo. You have inadvertently assisted me with a few of my own goals."

"Such as?"

"Well, I have been meaning to meet new people, but I am afraid I'm much better at books and tomes than people."

"Is it bad if I say I could have guessed that? It's the suit. Kind of the big book on your desk that has color coding, too."

Leon laughs as he closes the book. "Light reading. One can never know enough about their craft."

"You're a very interesting man. And by interesting, I mean strange in a good way."

"I feel that's an insult. Am I right?" Leon asks.

"No! Not at all. If I called you boring, now that's an insult."

"I'd imagine so."

"Well, I'm having this get together to celebrate the new job. As my first official new co-worker friend, I'd be honored if you'd come. It's the least I could do for someone who is now a mentor. We're probably going to get very acquainted with one another."

"Are you sure?" He asks.

"Yeah! Since we moved here, it's been the three of us. Trust me, we need new blood."

"Thank you. That is very kind of you. I, too, would be honored."

I thank him before leaving him with his book. A feeling of accomplishment fills me. I am stopped in my tracks when I happen into Sarah placing more posters of Nanoki in the quad.

I feel shame.

My excitement over the positive things in my life when Nanoki is still stuck in the pit of hopelessness with Anarch. I want to give Sarah solace, to bewitch her again, but I ignore the urge.

Someone's got to be an advocate, since I am so clearly failing.