Chapter 19: Moving Shadows

I regret not taking Archer up on his offer.

I want to turn around as soon as Shadowfield is out of view, but something in me feels as if I am running short on time. The longer I am distracted from knowing more about Anarch, the more assured I am that more will be sent to his realm.

I am somewhat relieved when I see the sign for Prophecy Cove. That same relief is soon replaced by confusion as the sun above me completely disappears, bathing the area around me in pure darkness.

The stark change rings the supernatural alarm in my body.

I slow my acceleration as a robed figure appears a few feet in front of my car. I stop inches away from the figure. A startling scene unfolds as the robe falls, revealing there is no one under it.

Someone is trying to goad me out of the car. Common sense dictates I should not exit the car, but I open the door and climb out of the car anyways.

I reason that the darkness will not leave until I have played this sick little game. I walk around the front of the car and pick up the robe from the ground. A fruity-coconutty scent fills my nose.

An inspection of the robe shows that it is covered in small runes, most of which I know to symbolize chaos.

A clicking sound behind me causes me to whirl around. I squint as I peer through the wavering darkness. The lights from the front of the car cast light on the darkness. The darkness ebbs and flows, like an ocean. The street under the darkness glistens with wetness, revealing that the darkness is not purely darkness.

Tilting my hand over the darkness, I whisper a spiral light spell and a ball of light propels into the sky from my palm. The spell casts light down on the army of dark figures advancing towards me.

As the light cascades down upon them, the figures are illuminated. They mirror Anarch, if not smaller in stature.

My fingers arch as beams shoot from the balls of light, down onto the figures. The figures are decimated by rays of light, more springing from the rampant darkness. My fingers move again, arching and sending more beams down upon them.

Something moves beside me and I look over to see a pair of hands reaching for me.

It feels as though my mind is being split in two as the darkness overcomes me. My vision goes black as I feel my feet give away underneath me. I cannot feel anything, only hear someone calling my name.

It feels like only moments pass before the world comes rushing back to me. I cry out as I sit up. When my eyes open and acclimate, I find myself in an off-white room.

The room is the size of my living room, kitchen, and dining room combined.

The tidy room is meticulously decorated. Everything has its place. The furniture is carefully spaced and placed in a very specific manner. It is not unheard of for rooms that were decorated using spells to be perfect.

I place my feet on the Persian rug and scoot back against the cream sofa. A white and brown marble table meets my knees as I spot two chairs at the opposite ends of the table.

An elongated wooden table rests near the antique stained-glass window across the room with four chairs placed around it. Tomes are stacked on the table.

A fireplace in the middle of the room is dormant. A mirror is settled between two candelabras on the fireplace. At the other end is a black grand piano. It stands out, being the only black object in the room.

A group of women enter the room, arguing the entire time. The three witches that showed up on my doorstep appear with another woman and a man. The women stop their bickering when they find me staring at them.