Chapter 40: Demonstrations

The next few hours fly by as I leave campus to get dressed.

I drive back to oversee the setup of the booths and the quad.  Leon is gracious enough to get in touch with a few of his students to help with setting up the booths and decorating the quad. My nerves are settled after the booths and information are clear.

Besides the booths, the quad is decorated with hanging purple streamers and fairy lights. The group made a banner with the name of the course, The Occult Audit, which took a hell of a lot of arguing to get approved.

When the decorations are set and I thoroughly thank the students, I dismiss them. They inform me that they will be staying for the demonstration. It reassures me that the event may turn out better than my worst fears.

I've long feared Dean Jaffe's faith may have been a little misplaced.

People arrive in droves. Dean Jaffe and I greet as many people as possible before the sheer amount overwhelms me. The quad is packed to the brim with visitors and students. Dean Jaffe is overjoyed with the turnout.

The dean suggests I take a break and mingle to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Mingling leads me to a booth about Djinn, where Leon is pouring through the informational booklets. He congratulates me again and informs me that he had no idea there was such lore attached to Djinns.

We are joined by Eric, Diego, Sierra, and Mori. Each of them offers their own congratulations. It fills me with a warm feeling to have my closest friends with me to share in the moment.

"So, your freaky knowledge of the supernatural is finally coming in handy." Eric jokes.

"As opposed to all the supernatural situations it's helped out with before?" Sierra asks.

"All of this is real, isn't it?" Diego asks. "Mermaids and vampires? The chupacabra?"

"Afraid so. Look on the bright side, there is no longer a demon feeding on the fear of innocent people. I'd say that's a mark in the 'win' column."

"That's--something. I guess you're right. It's just strange knowing that all of this stuff is real."

"Welcome to our world." Sierra laughs. "Aud sends her best. She got stuck on a new project at work."

Mori suggests we 'soak up some knowledge' as she leads us around the booths. Seeing people taking an interest in all the information we have laid out gives me a great feeling. Every person seems genuinely interested in what they are reading.

Leon is the only one in our group not buzzing from booth to booth. He lags and I stop to join him. It takes him a whole minute before he looks up at me.

"Sorry, it was--something that couldn't wait."

"Right. Something."

"But it was nothing that should supersede your big night."

"It's okay. It seems really important to you. You were completely zoned out."

"It has to do with my research into Theogony. The hidden text I found a couple of months ago. Well, I was having trouble deciphering some of its texts but something in one of the booths reminded me of a cypher used in studies with dead languages." Leon buzzes.

"One day, someone should study your brain."

"Yes, well. In the text, it mentions the resurgence. I'm guessing a revitalized portion of the war of the gods. It states that the remainder of the war will be fought via proxies, but it gives only scarce details on who or what those proxies will be, just that they are lesser. But what's lesser to them?"