Chapter 14: Archery

I couldn't go home.

Sierra and Eric would have noticed my suddenly sour mood. I can't very well tell them that I am feeling like a bad person because while I am living my supposed normal life, there are people being held captive in a Hell Realm.

They don't remember the supernatural and I am in no hurry to remind them.

I find myself sitting alone at a table at the Moonpetal Cafe. Mori has already been over twice to check on me. She only stops once I invite her to our little party later.

The melancholic music soothes a part of me that I have been ignoring until now. I am suddenly overwhelmed.

I place my hands on the table, palms up. My eyes close slowly. The world disappears, not just visually. The sounds of the cafe are gone.

I disappear into a state of pure darkness.

The void feels timeless. Nothing feels real. There are no thoughts, only the endless darkness of contemplation.

The weightlessness of infinity rushes away just as quickly as it came. The sounds of the cafe return as I feel a gentle pressure on my wrist. I open my eyes to see Archer sitting opposite me with his hand in my palm.

"Can I help you?"

My tone is harsher than I mean. The imbalance I feel from being pulled out of my meditation is as harsh as my tone. Archer beams at me from his side of the table.

"I just stopped by to tell you congratulations, but if I'm overstepping—"

"No," I say, "it's a little jarring to be pulled out of meditation."

"Sorry. I thought you were just taking a minute." He says.

"What do you mean by congratulations?"

"I heard about you getting the job. My family contributes a lot to the college, so naturally, I'm on the board."

Archer's grin is infectious. I can't help but follow his lead.

"You know, when you smile, it's like looking into the sun." He says.

Archer stares at me with adoration. It is hard not to notice. His gentle flirting sends the butterflies in my stomach gliding around.

"You mean it hurts when you look to close. Hurts from this side, too."

"Okay, can I ask you a question?" He asks.

His tone turns from playful to serious. I nod for him to go on.

"Am I coming on too strong?"

"No."

"So, why do you seem a bit stand-offish?"

The honest answer would be strange even to him. My abusive vampire ex-boyfriend screwed me up is a lot of baggage to unload on anyone. I hadn't thought how it affects how I interact with people.

Especially ones who show interest in me.

"I'm a little skittish when it comes to this kind of interaction. I'm not disinterested in you, I'm just cautious." I say.

"There's a story behind it, isn't there?"

"Scared yet?"

"Intrigued." He says. "That's not it. There's so much I want to know about you."

"Like?"

"Why move here?"

His question should be the simplest question. I got a job here or my family is from here. There could be any number of answers. Any of those answers would be lies.

I'm tired of lying.

"What do you know about demons?"

Archer is concerned by the question. His hesitation is clear.

"Why are you asking about demons?" Archer asks.

For the first time, I unload the truth about why I am in Prophecy Cove. The story takes about fifteen minutes to tell in detail. Archer is confounded as it unravels. I only understand how impossible it sounds when the story leaves my lips.

"And you're certain that a witch is helping the demon?" Archer asks.

"Very. The problem is that I have no clue where to even find the witch."

"Maybe I can help."

"How?" I ask.

"My family are Ancients. We have records that even the council doesn't have." He says. "I'd be happy to allow you to look through our records."

Ancients are those of ancient bloodlines. Most Ancients are assholes. They believe themselves to be above most other witches because their magical prowess is miles above.

Archer offers to drive me to his mansion, because of course he lives in a mansion. I decline. I will drive myself. Archer is disappointed but agrees nonetheless. The two of us leave the coffee shop to head to his mansion, Shadowfield.