Chapter 29: Recourse and Discourse

"So, demons exist? And they just attacked your house? And you're a witch." Diego asks as he paces in front of us. "And Tereso is a witch, too? But different from the evil witch that sent the demons to attack us?"

In the thirty minutes since the attack, Sierra and I cleaned glass from the floor as well as hung all the paintings back on the wall.

Magic is used to replace the window and fix the front door. Archer was helpful with that part. He watches Diego carefully as Sierra and I return to the room. I can't be mad at Diego. He's asking the burning questions they all want to know.

"So, all the el hechizo is real?" Diego asks.

"Do you need a minute?" I ask.

"How are you so calm about all of this? We almost died."

"Not my first scrape with demons. Hell, it's not my first time this week."

"And you didn't know about this?" Diego asks Sierra.

Sierra glances at me. She is either taking this all remarkably well or her memory has returned. She doesn't seem too disoriented by the return of her memories. I guess that's a win.

"It's complicated. What happened to the wards? Didn't a bunch of witches just place wards on this house?" Sierra asks.

"Curious, ain't it? Makes you wonder how effective it was meant to be."

"Those bitches! They screwed us over."

"Yeah, Avarie was right."

"Avarie? You've met Avarie?" Archer asks.

"Wait, is Avarie a witch, too?" Mori asks.

"It's a long story that ends with her pointing her well-manicured finger towards a bunch of broads who are either viciously deceptive or really horrible at warding." Sierra says.

"The White Thorns? You think they're behind this?" Archer asks.

"Maybe. Jury's still out, lover." I say.

"What are we going to do now?" Sierra asks.

Suddenly, nothing feels safe. The supposed wards the White Thorns set up are clearly not their weight in salt. The first thing I need to do is damage control with Sierra and assess the damage. The second thing I need to do is find the witches and show them exactly what a pissed of Parker can do.

Anarch will have to wait.

Sierra wants to talk away from the rest of the group and tell Diego to be on his best behavior. We head to the kitchen and I close the door behind us once we're inside. She waits until my attention is fully on her to speak.

"You really did it."

"I can explain." I say.

"Explain that you took vital memories from us and moved us to possible the most dangerous place in the world?"

"On purpose. That's a whole other discussion."

"Parker, what's going on? Something bad is happening, isn't it?"

I reach out to her and guide her to the kitchen table. I explain how I was determined to erase the trauma I brought upon them. I detail my not-so-veiled threats to Ambrose and our eventual parting. She listens intently as I confess I have been working with the council.

"The same council who wanted to bind your powers? Why?" Sierra asks.

"Penance. After Ambrose viciously murdered the coven and tried to hurt you guys, I knew I had to do something. Aria had the answers. She helped us get set up here."