Chapter 20: The Young and the Warded

The witches are more excited than I am about their wards.

They follow me back to my house and immediately get started drawing runes on every window. Eric and Sierra are mystified by the disappearing runes. I tell them it's a special kind of disappearing liquid. I'm surprised they buy it.

The two are still skeptical of why the witches are writing runes on our windows. I explain that with what happened at the market, I would feel safer with any kind of protection, even when Eric suggests more 'modern' techniques.

They ask where I found the girls and I admit the witches showed up while they were at work. I tell them I dismissed them at first, and still don't believe in witchcraft, but it couldn't hurt.

Eric and Sierra are barely buying my story as Merris, Whitney, and Laura join us. A quick introduction is made between them before Laura confirms she has inspected each rune.

Laura lies that my car broke down outside town and she was there. I wonder how it was that she was in the right place at the right time. I question if I am being paranoid. Laura asks permission to finish the upstairs and Eric offers to show the three witches upstairs.

Something furry rubs against my leg and I pick Collins up. As I am cradling her, she hisses at the witches as they head upstairs.

Once Eric and the witches disappear upstairs, Collins relaxes in my arms. Collins hops out of my arms and races up the stairs, leaving Sierra and I in shambles.

"You couldn't find pseudo-witches with a little seasoning? Maybe an African shaman with a big staff?"

I laugh. "Sorry, this town is fresh out."

"We sure we trust them?"

"According to Ms. Kitty Fantistico? No." I say. "But the Sanderson sisters are doing us a service. A little protection couldn't hurt."

"What happened to Ring doorbells and security systems?"

"Why do we need that when we have Collins."

"Parker."

"No, seriously. She's shown to be scrappy."

Sierra nods. "Fine. Ignore logic and reason."

"Finally, someone is speaking my language. You keep this up and I'm definitely going to have to listen when you talk about being a scam artist."

"You're kidding, right? You listen about as well as any other manchild." She says. "Before the las brujas come back, are we going to talk about the doctor and when you're going to see him again."

Sierra knows how to go in for the kill. She typically makes me rethink my incorrect thoughts or makes me think of the things I push to back of my mind. I have always loved how she counters my neurosis with logical thought.

Even when I feel safest in my delusions.

Archer is a great catch. There is just something about him that I don't fully trust. His coven is sketchy for one. Something tells me there are skeletons in every closet of that mansion. He seems like he comes from a wealthy family, which adds another layer to whatever dysfunction he is no doubt hiding.

But he's sweet and kind. And hot.

"I like Archer. That's all I really know. He's a good guy and I don't want to put my baggage on him, not just yet. But I feel like I have to if we go further."

"You're overthinking this. A lot." Sierra says. "Look Eric and I are flattered you brought in the Glinda and the Glindettes but maybe you should be a little less trusting about random people. Except the doctor. Let him in."

"I'll try."

We hug as Eric returns with the witches. Laura announces the entire house has been warded with protective wards from anyone wishing to do us harm.

Sierra is the first to thank them, saying it will help her sleep in peace. A noble and convincing act. The entire time Eric thanks them, Merris is staring back at the stairs.

"Merris, you okay?" I ask.

Merris breaks contact with the stairs and smiles at me. "Yeah, there's—there's something dark in this house. But you know that, right?"

"Can you elaborate? Cause I'd love to hear this." Sierra says.

"I just get a strange feeling that we're not alone here. I think your cat senses it, too. Perhaps it's a ghost." Merris says.

"We've had a lot going on in the world of the living. Besides, I've got a lot going on. I can deal with a Casper for a little while longer."

It is not unheard of for witches and ghosts to occupy the same spaces. Witches are able to see spirits easier than mortals. Most ghosts are confused spirits trying to figure out what happened to them. They are remnants of what did not move on. I can deal with ghosts.

If it's a ghost.

"I would like to go on record as saying I don't agree with that. In the slightest." Eric says.

"I don't sense it wanted to hurt any of you. It's just...dark." Merris says.

"You know what, it's been a hell of a day. All I want to do is take a long, hot shower and curl up with a huge and unbelievably informational book." I say. "So, thank you all so much for coming out here and helping us with the wards. We really do appreciate the help of the coven."

"We're here for you, Parker. Our coven would like to help you in all endeavors." Whitney says. "We'll go look further into the—things we talked about. We'll be in touch."

I thank them again before Eric shows them out. Collins is perched on the staircase, watching as the witches leave. She yowls at the passing witches, and it startles them.

It reminds me I am not the only cautious individual in this house. After the witches are gone, we go our separate ways and turn in for the night.