Chapter 27: A demon walks into a bar

Madlen's Bar and Grill is a charming, placid place.

The establishment has a dark ambiance that contributes to its laid-back atmosphere. The moment you enter, it has a calming effect. Spending the day with Mori leaves me craving a calm space.

The four of us find a circular booth in a row of booths. The booths were built using dark wood with maroon seat padding. On the other side of a partition is the bar area, where a long bar with bottles of top shelf liquor is positioned.

Seven tables are set up towards a small stage with a microphone and an antique piano.

Sierra slides into the booth and Leo slides in opposite her. Mori and I slide in next to Leon and Sierra, respectively. A perky young woman wearing a tight white t-shirt with the words "Madlen's" written on the front of it and shorts short enough to make a thong look prudent bounces up to our table to take our orders.

She announces her name to be Rain before she bounces off to place the order with the kitchen, which is just beyond the bar.

Leon asks about our day and Mori gushes about shopping. She details our every move and Sierra occasionally hops in to corroborate her story. Leon stares intently at Mori as she speaks.

There is something sweet about the way he is staring at her.

When Mori asks Leon what he is up to, he announces he has been doing personal research. His response is vague and unlike him. He usually lights up when discussing mythology and his lackluster response to her question feels disingenuous.

"That's it?! That's all you can tell us about this wondrous research?" Mori asks. "Isn't mythology, like, your passion?"

Leon scratches his head. "Well, it is complicated. It would take a while to explain."

"Try." Mori presses.

"Mori!" I warn. "It's okay, Leon. We don't want to be intrusive, do we Mori?"

"Parker's right. I'm sorry." Mori says sheepishly.

"No! It's quite alright. It's, well, it pertains to Theogony, or the Clash of the Titans. I have been teaching the story in my curriculum for years, but recently, I've come across some hidden texts that indicate the ending of the clash was not the true end." He says. "It sounds rather silly when one says it aloud."

"You mean there is going to be another huge war between Gods? Wasn't it cataclysmic last time?" Sierra asks.

Leon laughs. "Theoretically, yes. It's what the text suggests. Only the texts refer to lesser beings, noting that it will not be a clash of the gods. It speaks of proxies, loosely translated. The text was written in a dead language."

His musings are terrifying, if interpreted literally. I physically shiver at the idea of a rematch between the Gods. Leon recounts the events of Theogony until Rain returns with our drinks, assuring us our food will follow shortly.

Mori catches us all off guard when she declares the arrival of "Officer Hunk", pointing out Diego. He is standing at the entrance. Mori waves him over to our table.

Leon's face reveals his displeasure with Diego's sudden appearance, though I wonder if it less about Diego appearing and more about Mori's description of him. I suspect Leon is developing a small crush on Mori.

Diego beams as he pulls up a chair from a nearby table to join our table. Like the cool customer he is, he sits backwards in the chair. I resist the urge to roll my eyes as he greets the entire table.

Honestly, I'm still annoyed with how he treated Archer.

"Officer! Stopping in for a drink?" Mori asks.