seven

✼

"Well this was fun, I guess you're gonna head back to your room then?" You ask before biting the inside of your cheek. Bakugo's red eyes glance up from his phone and meet yours briefly. Surprisingly he turns off his phone and puts it back into his pocket. "No, we can keep hanging out. Isn't there a deck of cards in the activity closet? Let's play something to kill time." For the umpteenth time, you fought back a smile and nodded.

"Yeah, what did you have in mind?" You replied curiously. "We have different card games too." you quickly added as a follow-up. You both start to walk away from the entryway and to the activity closet. "I've never played Uno," he says but he's not suggesting it--that's what he wants to play. "Alright, we can do that, fair warning--we played last week and I was beating everyone." You gloat while grinning from ear to ear.

He rolled his eyes at your body language, "Yeah I was watching you guys play, I think I'll be better." he informs you as he opens the activity closet. You knitted your brows together in confusion and tried to recall the day last week. "Oh yeah you were there, we asked you if you wanted to play and you said no."

"I'd rather observe before I play."

You're a little taken aback by his response considering how you've seen him during training. "Really? That's a little surprising." You say, and before you can add anything else to the sentence he knows what you're going to say. "I don't observe during training because there's not always going to be time to observe, a card game is different." You nod at his words when he finally finds uno and the two of you walk to the same spots where you ate breakfast.

"We each get seven cards right?" He asks as he empties the card box into his hands and shuffles the cards. You only nod in response with a hum and watch as he shuffles the cards and deals them. Once he is finished counting seven out for each of you, you slowly gather your cards.

Already you're sure you're going to win. You had two 'draw 4' cards, one yellow reverse, 2 blue cards, and a red one. With the technique you had picked up you were planning on saving your draw 4's for last. As you rearranged your cards in an order of your liking you glanced up to see Bakugo eyeing his cards.

He's grinning like he is sure he's going to win too. You weren't gonna let that happen though. You couldn't.

Without saying a word he grabs a card from the top of the center deck and puts it down, right side up. It's a green 4, luckily you have a blue 4 so you put it down. Without so much as a second glance the blond slaps down a blue reverse and then another reverse--this time yellow, and lastly a yellow 2.

"Wow," You say, and the blond shrugs smugly. "I wouldn't get too cocky," you add before putting down your yellow reverse followed up by one of your draw 4's. "Blue." You state while Bakugo draws four cards from the deck--a scowl on his face. "And now I go again so..." you trail off before putting one of your last blue cards down.

It was a regular blue--a '3' to be specific. Now you were down to your last two cards. A red and a draw 4. Meanwhile, Bakugo had eight cards--one more than what the both of you had started with. There was no way he would be able to beat you now.

He scanned his cards briefly before looking at you to see if you'd give away anything with your eyes. Yet, your poker face was on, you couldn't let him read you.

Finally, he puts down a wild card and you hope internally he says red.

"Red," He says, and you put on your best frown. "Damn it." You groan as you go to reach for the deck. Bakugo believes this for a split second too--you see him start to grin and you stop your hand from drawing a new card and put the red one in your hand down. "Uno!"

This time his jaw drops. "How?"

"I don't know," you shrug with a smile. "Kepp going." you encourage and he grabs a red draw 2 from his deck and outs it down--hoping that would get you. Unfortunately for him, it doesn't, and you win by placing your draw 4 on top of his card.

He clicks his tongue in irritation while revealing the rest of his hand, a couple of reds and greens. "Guess your observing wasn't too good." you tease and he doesn't laugh. You didn't expect him to.

"I want a rematch." He insists and you don't argue.

You play 36 more times. You win 29 of the times because after a while Bakugo caught on to your trick after some time.