Chapter 1

Fast, upbeat music played as the photographer clicked away on his camera. "Yes! Now serious," I made one of those still, serious camera faces. "Perfect! Now smile, happy smile, not sad smile!" Ugh why can't there only be one kind of smile? I thought, but tried my hardest nevertheless. "Okay, good! That's all for now, I think, Jamie, cut off the music, it's giving me a headache!" Said the photographer, wiping his shiny forehead with a towel. Some people came over and applied powder to my face, sprayed water to my hair and brushed it out again, and straightened my shirt and whatnot. This was a typical photo shoot. "Can I have a cup of water or something maybe?" I asked one of the helpers. "Yes of course!" She said, hurrying over to a mini fridge and pulling out an ice cold bottles water. Just after I took my first refreshing sip, the photographer called out, "okay, round two!" I set down the bottle and went back to stand in front of the white backdrop area.
***
"Are you nervous?" My mom asked, gripping the steering wheel so hard her knuckles turned white and purple. Even though I could drive perfectly fine and I had my own car, she still insisted on driving me. "No, I'm totally not nervous about going to my first day of high school after being homeschooled for three years," I said sarcastically. My mom rolled her eyes and smiled nervously. "Well, good luck sweetie, I love you!" She said as I slid out of the passenger side and slammed the door. "Love you too, mom," I told her before turning away and walking towards the giant building.
***
"Hi, I'm Camile Dawson, I'm new, can I have my schedule?" I asked the lady at the desk in the front office. "Yes of course dear, you look familiar, have you been here before?" She asked, looking through some files. "Uh, no ma'am," I said. She studied my face. "Aha! You look just like someone from a magazine I saw!" She said. "Oh, that's...cool," I said, knowing it probably was me. "Well, I hope you have a nice day, welcome to McFay High!" She said before turning to another student. I nodded and left the office. That was awkward. I thought, scanning the hallway for my locker number. You see, since I was doing a campaign for some designer company in London, I wasn't able to come on the first day of school, so I had to wait until about a month after. I finally found it in the crowds of people in the hallway, and I quickly opened it and shoved my heavy textbooks in it. It was weird, since I noticed some people eyeing me with weird looks, or, surprisingly, in awe. Deciding to ignore it, I slammed my locker closed and went into my first class and took a seat. People around me were chatting and laughing, while I was arranging my pens and notebook on my desk since I had no one to talk too. Thankfully, someone saved me from my awkward state. "Hey, I haven't seen you around, what's your name?" Asked a small girl with pale blonde hair and freckles. Well, she wasn't small, I was just very tall compared to most people. It helps with modeling. "Oh, um, my name's Camile." I said. "Oohhh, you're that new girl everyone's talking about," she said, leaning back in her chair. "You look just like someone out of a Seventeen magazine," she said, furrowing her brow. "Haha, wow, thanks," I told her awkwardly. Jeez, is this how it's going to be with everybody for the rest of the day? I thought while she smiled. "Well, I'm Emma, I can show you around, if you want," she said, and I smiled at her. "That would be great, thanks Emma," I said. "No problem, Mr. Johnson is really boring though, just warning you," she said, and I just chuckled as a bald man in his late fifties came in and closed the door as the bell rang. "Good morning class," he said, walking over to the desk in the middle of the room, "before we start our lesson, I want you all to welcome our new student, Camile Dawson."
"Welcome," said a guy in the back of the class room, "to hell," and a few people snickered. "Detention after school, Mr. Jackson, enough funny business," said the teacher, and the guy slumped in his seat as more people snickered.
***
"And that's the library, do you want to eat lunch with me and my friends?" Asked Emma. "Yeah, if it's alright with them," I told her, giving her a grateful smile. We had been walking around the school for around fifteen minutes. "Of course, silly! I wouldn't have asked, and you seem kind of lonely," she told me. What I had figured out about Emma, was that she had a lot of energy, and she could be very sweet, but she also likes to tell it how it was. She was the kind of girl who was super outgoing, and who everyone wanted as their best friend. I laughed. "Very true," I said. She smiled. "To the cafeteria!" She commanded, pointing and marching in that direction. I laughed and we made our way to the lunchroom, arm in arm.
***
"Guys, this is Camile, she just got here today," said Emma, walking up to a long table full of seniors in the cafeteria. People greeted me with "heys" and "sups". One girl, though said, "wait, you're Camile Dawson, the supermodel!" She said. That got people's attention. "What you're a supermodel? So I did see you in Seventeen!" Said Emma. "And Vogue and TeenVogue!" Said another girl. "Um, yeah, can we not talk about that? And can I sit down?" I asked nervously, I didn't really like too much attention, I think I got enough of it with the bullying. As I settled down and was about to start eating my delicious looking pasta salad I brought, I suddenly lost my appetite when I saw who was coming towards me. A well dressed girl with fake blonde hair and a boy with dark blonde hair and a leather jacket were walking towards me, with their sidekicks trailing behind them like lost puppies. As they walked by, heads turned, and people moved out of the way. As they neared, I got a horrible sense of déjà vu.
Here comes my two least favorite people on earth.
• • •
Wow, what an unpredictable cliff hanger. *sarcasm*. Yeah well, I noticed this story has like, no views and I know I'm supposed to be focusing on what happens at the beach, and I promise this isn't going to be like 'the new girl' thing, where I stopped writing it because I got bored and started writing another story. I will still be writing What Happens at the Beach a lot more than this one(until it's finished)! But yeah, read this story!!!