Chapter 10

Amy

Amy closed her locker just as the warning bell rang. She rushed around the corner but stopped abruptly and his behind it after seeing Alec and Diana talking. She held her breath and hoped they didn't see her. "I know, I'm trying," came Alec's voice. "Well homecoming is going to be soon so you need to hurry up," says Diana and Amy hears Alec sighing and Diana's heels clicking away. That was weird, Amy thinks before rushing to class.

***

Camile's POV
"Hey..." I say when I see Alec walking towards the tree I'm sitting at. "What are you doing here all by yourself?" He asks. "Well Emma's sick and Amy has a group project so..." I shrug. He smirks and slides down the tree trunk and plops down next to me. Plop is a funny word...

"So what about you?" I ask, nudging his shoulder with my own.

"What about me?"He asks back.

I roll my eyes. "Why are you out here?"

"Well...I have something to ask you..." says Alec scratching his back, a sign for all guys that they're nervous or uncomfortable. I narrow my eyes. "Continue..." I order him quietlly.

He takes a deep breath and runs his fingers through his hair and the golden locks bounce back around his face, like his head is popping out of a pile of hay, or something...like that...I really want to touch it...what?!

"Okay, so, I know we've only been friends for a little while...but I wanted to know...I mean this can be totally friendly-"

"Spit it out, Alec," I say with wide eyes.

"Oh, um, sorry, willyougoonadatewithmethissaturday?" He blurts out, and we both stare at each other, completely shocked. Well, I feel shocked, Alec's probably just waiting for an answer.

***

"And then he asked me out," I sigh over the three-way call with Emma and Amy.

I pull my ear away from the phone so my ears don't burst from Emma's squeals. Amy stays quiet. "Uh, Amy? You there?"

"Oh, yeah...did you say yes?" she asks, suspiciously for some reason.

"Yeah, of course," I say, my smile dimming. "Are you okay Amy?"

"Yeah. Just...be careful, okay?" she says.

"Well, I'm SO happy for you," Emma gushes. "Thanks Emma..." I say, feeling like this whole conversation just got awkward for some reason.

"well...I'm gonna go, I've got a lot of homework, see you at school tomorrow, feel better Emma," says Amy for hanging up.

Emma sneezes, and I move away from the phone before remembering that germs don't carry over a call.

"That was really awkward," Emma states, and I can hear the sound of tissues being pulled out of the box in the background. "Yeah, I think something's up with her..." I say, cringing at the sound of Emma blowing her nose. Poor Emma. "Did you guys talk about the kiss?" She asks eagerly. I sigh.

"No, but he might say something over the date, and he says he'll text me the details, so..."

"Well, I'll totally help you get ready, hopefully I'll be better by Saturday,"

"Alright, well see you then,"

Achoo! "Bye."

I sigh and end the call, throwing my phone on my bed and heading down stairs.

"Hey, what's for dinner?" I ask my mom. She looks up from the stove.

"Wait- you're cooking?" I ask.

Oh no. My mom is good at a lot of things, but cooking doesn't happen to be one of them.

"I'm just trying out this vegetarian casserole recipe," says my mom, smiling brightly before scrolling through ingredients on her iPad.

"Um...I'm gonna go out...for a little while..." I say, slowly background no out of the kitchen.

"Alright, be back for dinner!" She says and I go through the garage to my car and drive over to Panera Bread. No way am I eating what ever my mom was making.

"Camile?" A voice asks cautiously.

I turn around slowly in the line to the cash register, plastering a fake smile on my face. "Diana, hey," I greet the person in front of me. She smiles so brightly it gives me a small headache.

"Hey, I thought that was you, how are you doing?" She says, flipping her blonde curls over her shoulder.

"Uh, good I guess..." I say, reading the menu.

"That's amazing! So I heard Alec asked you out on a date! I'm so happy for you! Maybe we can all hang out some time!"

"Yeah...maybe..." How did she know that?

"Alright, we'll see you at school," she says, and sashays out of the restaurant.

I shake my head. "I'll have a broccoli cheddar bread bowl," I tell the girl at the register.

***

The week goes by in a flash. Amy's back to normal, Emma recovered from her cold, and Diana has been acting extremely fake.

"Alright runners, tomorrow's meet will give you a taste of what the competition will be like at regions. This is going to be our biggest meet yet, with over fifteen teams there, so be prepared for a crowded course," says our cross country coach. All of the runners nod or sip Gatorade. Today was an easy run to prepare for tomorrow's meet. "You are all dismissed," she says and we all start to leave.

"Hey, good luck tomorrow," says one of the kids on the team, bumping my shoulder with their own. "Um, you too," I say, trying not to fall over.

***
Ohmygoodnessgraciousimsonervousohgodstheirabouttostartahhhhh, in brain is blabbering as the man by the start line raises their gun and shoots it into the sky. Hundreds of other girls in the varsity take off, our legs striding together in one big blur.

It's only 3.1 miles, you can do this, I think to myself, pumping my arms in sync with my legs.

There are cheers going on all around us from spectators and the runners all have labored breathing. My ankle seems to be throbbing with pain every time I set my foot on the ground.

Okay keep going, ignore the pain, come on do it for the team, do it for-

I turn the corner to see the familiar face of an angel- or should I say Alec?

He smiles brightly and cups his hands around his mouth. "Come on Camile! You're doing great!" He shouts.

And I take off faster than I ever have before. Or at least, that's how it feels whenever I see his smile.

Is that the finish line? Yes! It is! Finally! I think as I stride towards the shoot.

19:47
19:48
19:49

And I cross the finish line right after Michelle. After we both caught our breath, we started walking back to the tent.

"Hey you did amazing," Michelle tells me.

"Thanks you t-" before I can finished I'm scooped up into a bear hug, my cup of water flying into the grass. "Alec! Get off me!" I wheeze out from the impact.

"You did awesome! I saw the whole thing!" He exclaims, pulling away and I can't help but smile an blush.

"Thanks for coming," I say. "I bet you sped up because of my amazing cheering skills," he says, elbowing me in the ribs. I roll my eyes. "Don't flatter yourself," I say even though I want to say yes, that's exactly what happened.

"So...ready for our date tonight," he says, wriggling his eyebrows. I laugh.

"Yup."

• • •

I feel like no one read the last chapter...and I know this one kind of sucks but the next one will be better because of THE DATE ;)