Chapter 5

I shifted in my seat at the library. where was he? he said to come early...maybe I came too early? I should probably just leave, he probably already forgot- "hey," said Alec, grinning down at me. "You're here early," he joked, taking a seat next to me. "Ha ha," I laughed nervously as he took out a few messy folders.

why did I agree to this again?

"no, no, you do it like this," I said, taking the pencil from his hand and re writing the equation for the umpteenth time. As I did so, my wrist brushed against his hand and I fought back the blush that was creeping up my neck.

"Oh, I think I get it now," said Alec, and he wrote down a few more equations. "Finally!" I exclaimed. Alec looked up at the clock.

"Okay, well I think School's gonna start soon," he said, and began shoving multiple papers into his backpack and I put my pencils back in my pencil pouch.

"Hey Camile, thanks for tutoring me, it really helped, even if it was just one session," he said when we reached the main hall where other students were scurrying to their lockers. "No problem," I said, smiling, and headed to class.
***
"Don't you think it's weird that nobody here, not even Emma or myself remembers you from elementary or middle school?" Said Amy at lunch. I shrugged my shoulders. "I wasn't really popular, more like, the antisocial-nerd girl," I said, before taking a bite of my sandwich. "Still, I don't even remember hearing your name or seeing your face," she said. "Well, Diana and Alec remember me," I said, leaving out the reason why they remembered me. She cocked her head to the side. "That, I don't understand- no offense," she said, "but how can the two most popular people in school just happen to know the new girl and are trying to be best friends with you." I shrugged and dumped the rest of my lunch in the trash can, Amy following suit. We turned around, facing a tall, skinny girl who's long black hair was pulled into two tight French braids. I recognized her immediately as Michelle Jacobs, captain of the varsity cross country team. "Hey," she said, "you're Camile right?" I nodded my head. "You should totally come to the cross country time trials, they're this Friday, I think you would do great," she said, and I smiled, "okay, that sounds cool," I said, and she nodded before heading out of the cafeteria. "I didn't know you liked to run," said Amy. I snorted. "I don't like it, I just do it," I told her, and she nodded. "That makes more sense," she said and I shoved her playfully.

***

At the end of the day, I unlocked my car and slid into the driver's seat.
I was about to back out until I heard knocking on the window. I rolled it down and realized I was face to face with Diana Perkings. She smiled, showing off her unrealistically white teeth. "Hey, Camile," she said. "Can I help you?" I asked, gripping the steering wheel tightly. "I was wondering if you would want to come to my party on Saturday, you could bring your friends too, what were their names? Eliza and Avery?" She said, sending me another fake smile "Emma and Amy," I gritted put through my own fake smile. "I'm probably busy," I told her before driving off.

***

"Alright girl, you got this, go show em' what you got!" Emma yelled from the bleachers, while Amy groaned in embarrassment. I'm starting to regret bringing They were the only two people sitting up there, and I was currently standing behind the start line of the school's large half mile track, getting ready to start the time trials. Coach Jenson stood on the side with a stop watch and clip board. "Alright, we're doing the girls' time trials first. It's three miles, so twelve laps, and the first ten to come in make varsity," she yelled to us, and I looked around me. There were about twenty girls including myself and Michelle, who I was currently standing next to. "Okay, since I didn't feel like getting a gun, when I raise my arm, you get set, and when I blow the air horn, you go, when you're done, grab a card," she said, and we all nodded. Coach Jenson raised her arm, I positioned myself, the horn went off, and we all sprinted down the track. I sprinted until I passed a few people, then I settled into my pace. My pace just so happened to be the same as Michelle's, for now. She would probably get ahead of me, I mean, she is the captain of the team. She glanced over at me and smiled. "Told you you're good," she said. "It's only the first lap," I said.
"Exactly." She said, picking up her pace, and I followed suit, the corners of my mouth turning up.